Menu

Hands on versus virtual labs-which is better?

I am being seduced by our Virtual Physics Lab. It is just so easy to use- nothing to assembly, nothing to buy, no repeated tests for data. Someone snap me out of it! Make me realize that actually doing the experiment has merit. Please. Tell me to turn away from the perfect, multi-colored graphs. I need someone to motivate me.

I am being seduced by our Virtual Physics Lab. It is just so easy to use- nothing to assembly, nothing to buy, no repeated tests for data. Someone snap me out of it! Make me realize that actually doing the experiment has merit. Please. Tell me to turn away from the perfect, multi-colored graphs. I need someone to motivate me.

If you want my blunt honest opinion as a physics instructor: a "virtual lab" is not a lab. Period. It does not teach any of the things a real lab teaches.

I see several learning objectives from a lab.

1. Designing an experiment. You obviously can not do this if the simulation provides the setup.

2. Setting up and carrying out the experiment. Seeing what things can go wrong. Fixing them to make experiment work. This teaches attention to detail, skill in manipulating equipment, awareness to typical issues such as controlling for environmental variables etc.

3. Collecting data. This teaches accurate manipulation of measuring device (length, scale, watch, thermometer, ammeter....). For some experiments, computer supported sensors for data collection make life easier, but are not good teaching tools. Avoid whenever possible.

4. Error analysis. One of the most important steps, and often neglected. Every measurement has error. Your final result is only meaningful if you can estimate its accuracy. Only a real experiment will have errors, which you have to detect, eliminate if possible, estimate where not possible. Data must come with accuracy designation. I doubt a virtual "lab" will simulate a fake error for you to analyze.

5. Plotting data and analysis. Almost the most important thing. Choosing which data to plot how. Choosing appropriate axes or way to plot (sometimes square or quantity vs parameter better than quantity itself, or log-log-plot better than linear-linear.) If this is taken over by a computer, learning will be minimal.

a "virtual lab" is not a lab. Period. It does not teach any of the things a real lab teaches.

I see several learning objectives from a lab.

1. Designing an experiment. You obviously can not do this if the simulation provides the setup.

2. Setting up and carrying out the experiment. Seeing what things can go wrong. Fixing them to make experiment work. This teaches attention to detail, skill in manipulating equipment, awareness to typical issues such as controlling for environmental variables etc.

3. Collecting data. This teaches accurate manipulation of measuring device (length, scale, watch, thermometer, ammeter....). For some experiments, computer supported sensors for data collection make life easier, but are not good teaching tools. Avoid whenever possible.

4. Error analysis. One of the most important steps, and often neglected. Every measurement has error. Your final result is only meaningful if you can estimate its accuracy. Only a real experiment will have errors, which you have to detect, eliminate if possible, estimate where not possible. Data must come with accuracy designation. I doubt a virtual "lab" will simulate a fake error for you to analyze.

5. Plotting data and analysis. Almost the most important thing. Choosing which data to plot how. Choosing appropriate axes or way to plot (sometimes square or quantity vs parameter better than quantity itself, or log-log-plot better than linear-linear.) If this is taken over by a computer, learning will be minimal.

:iagree:

If you want my blunt honest opinion as a physics instructor: a "virtual lab" is not a lab. Period.

Well said! All of the virtual "labs" I have seen are really just simulations. While they often allow you to change one or more variables, predict, and then observe the effect of that change, they do so perfectly -- the resulting force or range or motion or whatever matches the theoretically correct value. While there is tremendous value in this, it does not qualify as a lab.

In a addition to the reasons stated above, I'd add that virtual labs do not prepare a student for doing labs in college. No matter their major, most students are going to have to take at least one science in college. And if they've never gone thru the process of doing a lab that didn't quite work as expected, they are going to be seriously behind from day one.

Just a comment here on an experience that we had.

The College Board has altered the content of AP Biology, but when my son took the class there were a dozen required labs. While most home schoolers neither owned nor would be able to afford some of the equipment for these labs, neither could all school systems! So virtual labs (I do prefer the term "simulations") were made available.

Creative biology teachers across the country came to the rescue. On the AP Bio ListServ, they would list suggestions for related labs (or at least the start of the specific AP labs) using ordinary materials or less expensive things from Carolina Biological Supply, etc. So perhaps the home educated student is unable to perform certain labs using sophisticated equipment. Consider it an opportunity to work on writing a good lab report and a time to work on observation and measuring skills.