Menu

IPAD - Readaloud question

warneral

I was talking to a mom at the library who said her ds read a book on the IPAD and was able to touch the word for a quick dictionary lookup. Does anyone know how to do that? I assume the book was in a certain file type?

How do you use the IPAD to help with vocab and pronunciation? Are there any helpful apps for quick reference?

It's built in functionality in both iBooks & the kindle app. We use it regularly to look up words. I also downloaded 2 apps for vocabulary apps. Word wit, which was recommended by someone on this board takes commonly misused words that sound alike (like prospective & perspective) and defines them before asking some multiple choice questions which give you a chance to master proper usage. Dd6 enjoys playing it. The second vocabulary app is SAT vocabulary which came with 1000 words for free. The words are on flashcards and the app has audio so you hear the proper pronunciation. The flashcard also includes a sentence showing proper usage of the word. Dd uses the app once a week or so and has started using some of the words. A few weeks ago she told me she had an acute sense of taste because even though I picked them off she could still tell that her pizza came with disgusting olives on it.:001_smile:

I have the kindle app but I can't do anything but type the word and then it shows references or sends me to a google. Is that what you mean or am I missing a feature? That is so cute that your dd is becoming so verbose!

I don't have DH's iPad handy but on my iPhone you just touch the word and hold until it highlights (a popup shows with options "note/highlight/share") and the definition pops up at the bottom or top of the screen with links to google, wikipedia and to the full definition in Kindle's included dictionary.

I have the kindle app but I can't do anything but type the word and then it shows references or sends me to a google. Is that what you mean or am I missing a feature? That is so cute that your dd is becoming so verbose!

When I click and hold on a word it brings up the definition at the bottom of the screen. The box includes google and Wikipedia links at the bottom. I think when I first loaded the app & clicked on a word to define it I was prompted to load a dictionary but I'm not sure of the exact process because it was a few weeks ago.