Menu

Sewing-advice on choosing knit fabrics, please?

A friend of mine wants me to make her a split skirt like one she has. It is a thin knit, more for summer, but she wants one made in a thicker fabric for winter. I don't have much experience with knits and don't really know how to pick them out. The different types are confusing, and she needs something within her budget as most seem to be pretty expensive.

Here are a couple I've found.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Knit-Solids/

It says this works for band uniforms, etc. It's cheap, but would it be too ugly for a nice split skirt?

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Sophia-Double-Knit/

This is a bit expensive.

Are double knits warmer than other knits?

What would work well for this? If anyone has suggestions I'd be so grateful to hear them. Thanks!

I've gotten Sophia double knit from Fabric.com before (which is a wee bit cheaper, but you'd need to check shipping to see what the total cost would be). It's a nice fabric -- much like the ponte Roma (NOT ponte, which is lighter weight) at JoAnn or Hancock.

I buy the Sophia when it goes on sale. I make knit pants, like jazz pants, for my 12yo daughter out of it. I've used the ponte Roma from Hancock's and JoAnn to make various tunic-type tops for me. These fabrics hold up well to washing, and haven't stretched out of shape unreasonably.

Hancock's and JoAnn put their ponte Rome on sale, too, plus they have coupons on a regular basis.

I've no clue about the other fabric.

edited to add: double knits aren't so stretchy,and are heavier. I've seen websites and magazine articles explaining the differences of various knits, but I'm typing this on my ipad while the family is asking me stuff,and I'm sort of maxed out. I think the Sophia would do fine, but it might depend on how heavy she wants and how stretchy the fabric needs to be. I'm a big fan of stretch velour or velvet myself,but you'd have to worry about using a layout for a napped fabric.

Edited by GailV

Denver Fabrics page on various knit fabrics. I'm pretty sure other online fabric stores have information like this. Really, though, for me it's better to read through this stuff while handling some of the actual fabric -- I can't picture it otherwise. Now that I think about it, you might have some of this stuff in your own wardrobe, so that might do the trick.