Menu

French recommendations

Embassy

What mom-directed French program would you recommend for a 5th grader and up? I personally need a program that will start out by teaching me how to read French. I tried Nallenart with him last school year and quit. He was doing fine, but I couldn't figure out the pronunciation and I at least need a handle on that to be able to direct him. I can read Spanish and German without much of a problem, but French has left me confused.

:bigear:

Dd and I are using The Learnables French 1 this year. I like it very much and am starting to learn the language with her. The Learnables first starts out with just listening to a native speak the language while you look at visuals. Once this is finished, you next go to a reader/workbook with CDs to repeat the audio lessons in combination with written text. After you complete this, you then spend time working with grammar enhancements before you graduate up to French 2. I really appreciate this sequential approach a lot.

I've never used RS or any other immersion type of foreign language program, but I can honestly say that the program we are using is working well for us. This means a lot to me because I do not speak a foreign language yet and must learn alongside my dd.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We are using Le Francais Facile (The Easy French). It assumes a Christian worldview, but does not require prior knowledge of the language.

Personally I have a French background, but if you didn't I could totally see how it would work really well.

Thanks, I'll look into it :)

Dd and I are using The Learnables French 1 this year. I like it very much and am starting to learn the language with her. The Learnables first starts out with just listening to a native speak the language while you look at visuals. Once this is finished, you next go to a reader/workbook with CDs to repeat the audio lessons in combination with written text. After you complete this, you then spend time working with grammar enhancements before you graduate up to French 2. I really appreciate this sequential approach a lot.

I've never used RS or any other immersion type of foreign language program, but I can honestly say that the program we are using is working well for us. This means a lot to me because I do not speak a foreign language yet and must learn alongside my dd.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Do they go over phonics when you move to the reader or is it listen and repeat words or sentences to learn the pronunciation?

Do they go over phonics when you move to the reader or is it listen and repeat words or sentences to learn the pronunciation?

I'm not sure about how or if phonics are used. So far, no. But it could be that there is more to this than I'm aware of because I have not used the full program yet. I think this would be a good question to direct to the company. Their website has a lot of info, and there are reps to answer any questions you may have.

Blessings,

Lucinda

The choices you've listed look like great resources that I personally would choose to use as a supplement to a formal learning program. So far in our experience it seems that the best way to learn a foreign language is to jump right in and start learning with a coach or a program and then add on extras. I've also learned that using more than one program is helpful. For instance, we have The Learnables as our primary source, but I've also gone to the library and checked out other programs to see how they work. Some days we listen to someone speaking in French and try to follow along. Other days we look at written text to see how much we understand so far. It's been really fun this way.

Best to you as you seek out the best ways of learning for you and your kiddos. Enjoy the journey!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm sure the book is hard to find because I bought it at a book sale a few years ago, but it has the best pronunciation guide I've seen yet. It's called French for Reading Knowledge by Palmeri and Milligan. It wouldn't work for a curriculum because it's just how to understand what you read, but it's a neat little thing.