Menu

How to approach Aristotle

I'm preparing (and pre-reading) for next year. My plan is to spend some time with Plato and Aristotle. Plato, I've got outlined, but Aristotle is not. I'm looking for hints on what works to read and what translations are best.

I want to read more than is suggested in WTM or LCC. We will have finished formal logic and read Aristotle for Everybody. My son enjoys philosophy and science.

What have you done? What would you do? Thanks.

Aristotle in general is much more difficult than Plato to get hold of. The texts we have were never really intended to be for general reading - they are rather like reading student notes, and so they are dense and often assume that you already know something about what Aristotle is trying to say.

It can also be a bit difficult to see where to begin. The Metaphysics and the De Anima are probably among the most important books, and the most difficult. It could be worthwhile to look at Logic and the Physics first, or if you are interested in the topic, the Poetics could be a nice starting place.

In any case, a good guide book could be very helpful with Aristotle. When I was a student we used "Introduction to Ancient Philosophy" by Hilary Armstrong, which is a good basic reference for studying the ancients. I think it is still in print and it is also inexpensive.

Ah - here, it is still in print. I'd look at the used copies before shelling out for new.

Aristotle in general is much more difficult than Plato to get hold of. The texts we have were never really intended to be for general reading - they are rather like reading student notes, and so they are dense and often assume that you already know something about what Aristotle is trying to say.

It can also be a bit difficult to see where to begin. The Metaphysics and the De Anima are probably among the most important books, and the most difficult. It could be worthwhile to look at Logic and the Physics first, or if you are interested in the topic, the Poetics could be a nice starting place.

In any case, a good guide book could be very helpful with Aristotle. When I was a student we used "Introduction to Ancient Philosophy" by Hilary Armstrong, which is a good basic reference for studying the ancients. I think it is still in print and it is also inexpensive.

Ah - here, it is still in print. I'd look at the used copies before shelling out for new.

Thank you, that sounds like the kind of guide I'm looking for.

Read Poetics and tie it (if you do WTM-style literature) to classical tragedy studies. Always comes in handy, they are a great combination and a gentle introduction to Aristotle on a familiar material.

Thank you. I'll note that, as we will be doing some Greek Tragedies. We'll mostly be focused on early civilizations and Greece. We'll do Roman studies the following year.