Menu

New Homeschoolers, would love some feedback!

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards, and new to homeschooling with DD 9 who just came home after 1 quarter of 4th grade. I picked up TWTM about 2 years ago, and loved it, and we've afterschooled in history, writing & science for the past year. I'd been fantasizing about homeschooling for awhile, planning to do it for sure for junior high, but after a really rough start to this year, we decided why wait? So here I am after one week and two days . . . with some questions for all of you amazing and more experienced people!

Here's our basic day, 4 days a week - in the morning:

Math - we're doing assessments & remedial stuff right now, trying to figure out where she's at & choose curriculum. I'm looking at MM, with LoF on the side, and TT. I'll probably post more questions on this separately . . .

Spelling - Spelling Workout E. No problems, though she does not love spelling

Grammar - FLL 4. She finds it easy so far, we usually do a couple of lessons a day

Writing - We're continuing with WWE 3, because that's what we've been working with since last year. She finds it pretty easy, so I'm going to move through it quickly till we get to tougher material, and then either do WWE4 or jump into WWS. I think I read SWB saying that would be reasonable to do with a 5th grader. Thoughts?

We're also doing WS3 exercises once a week - she likes to write, so having the descriptive & paragraph exercises is good for her, and breaks up the narration/dicatation thing.

Latin - Big Book of Lively Latin (BBLL?) - we started this over the summer, it's very fun & gentle, we break up each lesson over several days.

Okay, so this all takes about 2 1/2 hours, 3 if we're lagging. We finish it before lunch, and I feel good . . . then feel like maybe I should be doing more? But I'm trying *so hard* not to push too fast, but to keep it pleasant and fun and end things when she really gets wiggy and impatient.

Afternoons - we do literature, working through the Medieval list from TWTM, and then:

either History (we're about halfway through SOTW 2, having been gently afterschooling for the past couple of years). I have her answer questions, and do a verbal narration, no writing yet. I'm also having her do some extra readings, as suggeted in the Activity Book, and map work

or Science - we're finishing up RS4K Chemistry and then will move into Bio. I'm a biologist, so Bio will be fun and we'll do lots of field trips, experiments, etc.

This is another 1-2 hours of work, depending on the day, the energy level, etc.

That's all so far - I'd like to fit in Logic (she likes Mind Benders) and somehow music/art, but I don't really know when & where.

I feel good when we get through all this, then wonder is it enough? Should we do more writing? She does a formal writing lesson every day, and then at least once a week she writes for science, lit, or history, but not every day. She would really have a hard time if I made her write every afternoon. She is definitely lower energy & lower focus in the pm.

Okay, I've written way too much! Though I feel like it's not really telling the whole story - why we brought her home, her strengths & weaknesses, etc. But if you are still with me so far, I guess I'm looking for either validation, or kind criticism, or suggestions? How does this sound to you if you have a kid around the same age? Or anything else you feel like offering?

Thank in advance!!

Rose

Good Morning and WELCOME! :)

Okay, so this all takes about 2 1/2 hours, 3 if we're lagging. We finish it before lunch, and I feel good . . . then feel like maybe I should be doing more? But I'm trying *so hard* not to push too fast, but to keep it pleasant and fun and end things when she really gets wiggy and impatient.

I think what you are doing so far sounds wonderful. The timing looks to be right on with what we do here. I have two boys and we can get through our core curriculum in about 2 hours. Science, history and geography (and one day art and creative projects... if I EVER get to it! LOL) will add in another 1-2 hours, depending on what I've got scheduled. I wouldn't worry about not doing enough unless your child is asking for more. I would schedule in those additional subjects and maybe some independent reading, but other than that, enjoy your free afternoons! You both earned it! ;)

what a bad title - it looks like I am looking for feedback only from new homeschoolers, doesn't it? I'm a total board virgin, it is taking me awhile to get the hang of this! I'd love feedback from anyone!!

I knew what you meant! :)

Welcome to wonderful world of homeschooling!

Have a great day!