Menu

What are your consequences for lying and sibling conflicts?

We use two really neat resources from Doorposts. Its the IF/Then and Blessing Charts and the book For Instruction in Righteousness. I don't know much about the publishers but I have been encouraged with these resources.

For lying we use drops of vinegar on the tongue. It's like washing the mouth out with soap, but more sanitary. They also get a spanking if they don't confess to their dishonesty.

With sibling conflict, I have to admit that we're struggling with this right now. It's become such a problem that we are either separating them (no talking or playing allowed for a certain time frame) if it is mutual or spanking them both if they cannot stop fighting (continuing fighting mutliple times despite our punishments). If it is one person or the other that is causing the problem we take away a privilege--computer time, snack, or put them to bed early. We keep stressing that they are both responsible for getting along and that they both need to strive to live at peace with everyone. But, like I said, we're still working on this one.

For lying, if the child is little, I explain to her that it's wrong to lie, in whatever terms she can understand. As the child grows, I add that lying is sinful, dishonorable, and leads to others being unable to trust her. As for consequences, the child quickly discovers that she is no longer believed until she can reestablish her truthfulness. This is pretty painful, and we don't get much recidivism.

Nothing helpful on sibling conflicts; their ages are so far apart that there isn't any to speak of.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Lying is double trouble in my house.

Whatever the punishment would have been for the original infraction is now doubled.

Sibling Conflict depends. If they are just bickering/arguing, I give them the chance to work it out. If they refuse to resolve their own problem, they are both busted. Divide and conquer. The toys go up and the kids go to their room because they must be in need of alone time. If someone resorts to violence, then I deal with that differently.

We use two really neat resources from Doorposts. Its the IF/Then and Blessing Charts and the book For Instruction in Righteousness. I don't know much about the publishers but I have been encouraged with these resources.

For lying we use drops of vinegar on the tongue. It's like washing the mouth out with soap, but more sanitary. They also get a spanking if they don't confess to their dishonesty.

With sibling conflict, I have to admit that we're struggling with this right now. It's become such a problem that we are either separating them (no talking or playing allowed for a certain time frame) if it is mutual or spanking them both if they cannot stop fighting (continuing fighting mutliple times despite our punishments). If it is one person or the other that is causing the problem we take away a privilege--computer time, snack, or put them to bed early. We keep stressing that they are both responsible for getting along and that they both need to strive to live at peace with everyone. But, like I said, we're still working on this one.

I really like this idea, thank you!