Menu

I am so happy living here- I did make the best choice

Okay, I am five for five. As my name suggests, I have been moving a lot. After the a number of moves, I came up with a system for choosing where to move either before I lived in the area or right after moving and how to choose the right neighborhood. So I did it again this time and yes, I chose a great neighborhood.

If you want to know my secrets, it is to move to places where people moved to when they were maybe in the 30's or 40's and became successful. Don't always get it exactly right but these houses are not the most expensive but they have people in them who are very civic minded, interesting hobbies, like to travel, and generally have something in common with us. The houses are generally what would have been on the more comfortable side of middle income or even upper income but not super wealthy. That means the homes were built with good features though 30-40 years ago but people who live in these neighborhoods are very prone to updating. Yes, it does mean we tend to get older neighbors but they are really great neighbors and most of the younger people who move to these places are similar to us.

Anyway, today, I was reflecting on this while visiting one of two great supermarkets in my neighborhood (Fresh Market and Publix). I have lots of cultural attractions here- Chanticleer concert last night, Halloween hayride tonight, Art Museum gallery opening and SYmphony Orchestra plus reception next weekend. What I can't believe is how much goes on in this small city of less than 200K. Yes, it was the right decision for us and it was completely God;s work in our life since we had no choice in where we would live. Oh, you can believe that I am grateful and paying it back. I was able to easily start volunteering to help a first grader in public school learn to read and to do arithmetic. I'll soon also be volunteering at the Botanical Garden and am going to find out how to help homeless with my cooking and baking.