Menu

x-post: AoPS Intro Counting and Probablity

Has anyone had any experience taking this class online? Will the class expand upon the book? Are there challenge sets for this class? How intense is this class? (DD is discussing taking this along with Prealgebra 2 and I'm wondering if it will be to much, she has already passed all the alcumus homework but has yet to crack the book.)

Has anyone had any experience taking this class online? Will the class expand upon the book? Are there challenge sets for this class? How intense is this class? (DD is discussing taking this along with Prealgebra 2 and I'm wondering if it will be to much, she has already passed all the alcumus homework but has yet to crack the book.)

My ds14 is currently taking this class and loves it! This is our first AoPS class. He does put quite a bit of time into it (although, I would like him to put more of course). They meet once a week for 1 & 1/2 hours to discuss the chapter they should have read prior, they are assigned problems to do that are different (but in the same vein) as the ones in the book, they do Alcumus, and they hand in Challenge Sets each about 3 weeks. My ds just got his comments back on his first Challenge Set today and he did awesome. He was thrilled (and I think a bit stunned) at how well he did and the depth of the comments he received about his work.

This class has lit a fire in him and we will definitely be continuing with the classes. Having said that, I am not sure my ds would get as much out of the class if he was not focusing solely on it. I am absolutely sure there are others out there who could do it, I am just saying that with my ds, I don't think it would be as productive.

I do highly recommend the C & P class. These guys and gals are awesome!