Menu

Standardized Test Question

AnnaM

I decided to on my own (it is not required) to see where my dd is using a standardized test. There is no pressure, she might not even realize it is a test. Anyways, if the instructions are to find the opposites am I "cheating" by helping her read words she can't quite sound out? There is no grading on her reading here just the ability to choose the opposite. Just curious what you thought.

I decided to on my own (it is not required) to see where my dd is using a standardized test. There is no pressure, she might not even realize it is a test. Anyways, if the instructions are to find the opposites am I "cheating" by helping her read words she can't quite sound out? There is no grading on her reading here just the ability to choose the opposite. Just curious what you thought.

For the Stanford Achievement Test, most of the test questions are read to the student through grade 2.

However, if the section is testing vocabulary, then it might be needful for the student to be able to read the words herself. Because the item may be checking not only that she knows what the word means and which word is an opposite, but that she is able to read the words.

Something that I did when my kids were little and we didn't live in a testing state was to give them practice tests that I could grade as necessary. The Virginia SOL tests worked pretty well (though they are keyed to a specific set of state standards) as did Spectrum brand test prep books.