Menu

Absolute best workout mat for high impact exercise?

I work out mainly in my basement, where the floor is concrete. There is carpet, but it isn't enough cushion for my feet with tendonitis, dislocating kneecaps and back with 2 bulging discs, 2 pinched nerves and arthritis :tongue_smilie:

I would like to know what the best mat is for absorbing as much of the impact as possible. The P90x mat is only 1/4 inch thick--just doesn't seem thick enough to me.

I would also like it to be somewhat portable since I workout at friends' houses as well.

Suggestions?

It is just a cushion mat that people use in the garage. They usually come in interlocking squares. The really good ones are firm. My husband got some cheap knock off that was perfect because it wasn't so firm. It was $19 for one long piece. The material is like those foam mats for preschools or those large floor puzzles.

There is carpet, but it isn't enough cushion for my feet with tendonitis, dislocating kneecaps and back with 2 bulging discs, 2 pinched nerves and arthritis :tongue_smilie:

:confused:

Honestly, with those issues you couldn't pay me to do high impact exercise. Why continue beating on your joints?

Done right, low impact exercise is just as effective for improving and maintaining fitness.

It is just a cushion mat that people use in the garage. They usually come in interlocking squares. The really good ones are firm. My husband got some cheap knock off that was perfect because it wasn't so firm. It was $19 for one long piece. The material is like those foam mats for preschools or those large floor puzzles.

:iagree: That's essentially what we have as flooring in the impact studio at work.

:confused:

Honestly, with those issues you couldn't pay me to do high impact exercise. Why continue beating on your joints?

Done right, low impact exercise is just as effective for improving and maintaining fitness.

Well, I don't really do much high-impact exercise--light boosted walking/jogging in place is about as high-impact as it gets. I just want

to make sure that I am doing all I can to protect my parts!:D Even the walking is hard on my feet. A high-impact mat would give me that protection.

I do a lot of Leslie Sansone right now, along with the eliptical trainer.