Menu

Christmas gift question..

yes, I know it is early, but I am trying to figure something out. I have 2 sons...age 7 and 9. They often like the same types of things...sports, paper airplanes etc. If you have a similar situation in your home, do you give some, most, or no presents to the boys together?(or I guess girls would be the same deal) I have several things that I could easily give them together....or have gift A go to ds9 and gift B go to ds7. thoughts??

I have the same thing going on here. My girls are 4 and 7 and play together with the same things. It really depends on the gift on whether I give it together or seperate.

For example, they are both really into My Little Ponies right now. I'd get them each their own seperate ponies, no matter if they were the same ones.

I'm thinking of getting a large dollhouse....which would be a gift to them together.

Things like Playmobil, I would give together.

Things like American Girl items/dolls, I'd give each girl one.

What type of gifts do you have for them?

My kids are two years apart, and they get a LOT of shared gifts. They just have such similar interests that when I tried dividing things up it led to drama over how much the other child borrowed whatever gift they both liked.

the drama....that is exactly the reason I am considering shared gifts...but I also want them both to get some individual gifts too...

At our house, the kids believed in Santa.

Santa brought toys to share. He left them unwrapped and under the tree. Usually these were toys more than one child could play with at a time. Playmobil, castles, fire station, board games, musical instruments, movies, blocks, puzzles, and the like.

When an item was very much wanted by 3 or 4 children, and there were 3 or 4 variations of it or they would fight over it if there was just one, they each got their own.

Individual gifts from Santa were wrapped.

so, for example...if I bought 2 boxes of the Q-Ba-maze block sets would it be better to wrap them both up and put both names on it...or wrap them separately and give one to each boy? They are identical boxes. Or what about the hexbug habitat....buy two smaller sets...or one big one? OR....which is also an option....one kid gets the maze blocks and one kid gets the hex bug set? I know they will both play with both items.

My sons are 19 months apart. I tried to give them separate gifts even if it meant buying one red and one blue of whatever. If the gift was large, say a game system, then I would get each one a game, their own controller..etc. Even if it was an identical item, they somehow each knew which one was their's. I found it to be far less drama to each have their own. If they had similiar games, they could then swap when they wanted to.

Things like Legos ultimately ended up in a shared rubbermaid container when they were ready to ditch the box. Howver, they could tell you which horse was their's.

Edited by KatieinMich