Menu

Apologia Physics Q... (sine, cosine & tangent)

Already planning for 2012-2013 school year:

Upon reading the sample (online) introduction chapter for Apologia Physics, I was surprised to see listed that the student has to be familiar with sine, cosine, & tangent.

So, am I correct in thinking to postpone Apologia Physics until having completed TT Pre-Calculus where sine, cosine & tangent are introduced and covered? :confused:

Or can I go ahead and implement it (next year) while teaching TT Algebra II? Currently we are doing TT Geometry along with Apologia Chemistry (and the GPB Chemistry videos).

You should only need the applications of these (and their inverses) to right triangles if I've read the sample module correctly.

Chapter 11 of TT geometry seems to cover these, however I don't see the inverse functions listed on their table of contents.

If TT geometry discusses sin^-1 (also known as arcsin) and the others, I believe you're set. If they don't discuss them, it should be possible to teach this topic only in one lesson with a borrowed book if necessary.

I do not know the specific text, but generally, all the trigonometry needed for an algebra based physics course can be learned in a single afternoon.

You basically need to be able to determine the sides in a right triangle if the hypotenuse and one of the angles are given (a common occurrence for vector components). So, you need the definitions of sine, cosine and tangent. The mnemonic SOHCAHTOA is a life saver for many students

(Sine=Opposite/Hypotenuse,Cosine=Adjacent/Hypotenuse,Tangent=Opposite/Adjacent).

It is also desirable to know the basic behavior of sine and cosine, and the Pythagorean Theorem.

It is usually not necessary to have covered trig identities, addition theorems, functions of double angles and the like; these are not necessary for an understanding of physics and for most problems.

I see no reason to postpone physics till after precalc. My DD succeeded in college physics with algebra 1, some geometry, and a one day crash course in basic trig.

I do not know the specific text, but generally, all the trigonometry needed for an algebra based physics course can be learned in a single afternoon.

You basically need to be able to determine the sides in a right triangle if the hypotenuse and one of the angles are given (a common occurrence for vector components). So, you need the definitions of sine, cosine and tangent. The mnemonic SOHCAHTOA is a life saver for many students

(Sine=Opposite/Hypotenuse,Cosine=Adjacent/Hypotenuse,Tangent=Opposite/Adjacent).

It is also desirable to know the basic behavior of sine and cosine, and the Pythagorean Theorem.

It is usually not necessary to have covered trig identities, addition theorems, functions of double angles and the like; these are not necessary for an understanding of physics and for most problems.

I see no reason to postpone physics till after precalc. My DD succeeded in college physics with algebra 1, some geometry, and a one day crash course in basic trig.

*whew* :svengo:

You saved my bacon on that one, Regentrude! Thank you so much! :)

I also have on hand Hewitt's Conceptual Physics student textbook, GPB Physics DVDs, and other lab resources. But am happy to find out this is possible to do after Algebra I and Geometry.

I used the Apologia text for several years at our co-op. The only trig used is in the context of right triangles. A student needs to be able to use the sin, cos, tan buttons and their inverses on a calculator. I'm not sure that TT teaches the necessary skills in their Geometry text, but most other texts do. If it hasn't been learned there, it can be learned quite quickly.

There are also a couple of modules where students need to be able to solve two equations for two unknowns. That's the most complicated the math gets in Apologia.