Menu

Need geography suggestions please

momtolgd

When asked to name a proper noun for a state today other than our own, DD9 replied, "Canada." Hmmm....I think we need to do some basic geography!

Any suggestions?

I would like something fun and light but will cover the basics...continents, countries, states, oceans, etc. I would like something that can be used with both older kids together, and possibly have my young k'er join in to listen as well, if there is anything like that.

I could come up with my own plan, but if there is anything cheap and good already out there, that would be wonderful!

What do you like? Thanks.

We've been happy this year with Trail Guide to World Geography for dd8. On the one hand, it's open-and-go (except that you'll need to print out the outline maps you need); on the other, it's organized so that you can choose to do a small amount of fairly easy work or a large amount of challenging work. I do the former with dd8; I'm going to use it this summer at the most challenging level to help dd15 actually learn some geography.

One off-putting aspect is the number of additional resources they claim you need, which quickly add up to $$$. This put me off buying it for a long time. When I found it used and could actually flip through it, I realized that the book of outline maps I already owned and the couple of children's atlases on the shelf were all we needed.

We are studying the states. I orginally purchased Cantering the Country, but I cannot recommend it. The information was incomplete, the books suggested were often unavailable, and the structure was more unit study than geography.

So I did the following:

* Purchased a Rand McNally Kids Road Atlas for the states. $3.95

* Purchased a globe: $15 at Target (don't spend a lot of money as they break easily)

* Print out black line map for the world

* Print out black line map for the United States

* Print out black line maps for all the states

We do history mapwork once a week and state geography mapwork once a week:

* After reading history, we pull out the globe and talk about the countries we studied last week and the countries we are studying this week. We look at the city we live in and trace along the globe to the countries we're studying, pointing out major oceans or continents we're flying over. Time: 5-10 minutes

* If it's the country is on a new continent, we outline the continental area on a world map and label it LARGE letters to distinguish from the smaller countries. We also label the adjacent oceans and ocassionally large mountain ranges. Time: 10-15 minutes

* After our formal state study, we pull out the US map and color the state we are studying. The kids started at Maine and are working their way south, then west. We review the US states by pointing at the colored states and reciting the name. Time: 5 minutes

* We then pull out the state's black line map and the road atlas. We label the capital and major US cities. I also like to add other items labeled in the atlas, like major rivers, oceans, bays, and land masses (5-10 items max), but I don't think this is necessary. My kids just like doing it. Time: 15-20 minutes

So twice a week, we spend 15 to 20 minutes on map work. The description sounds like a lot of work, but I'm adding a lot of detail. What makes it easy is I printed out all the maps before school started and put them in order of when we'll study (see below). My kids' papers are sorted in weekly manila folders, so I just pull out the map as part of their weekly work. The US map and world map are carried over week to week and orally reviewed, but the state maps go into a binder with their other completed school work. We occasionally pull it out and look at the pages.

My youngest just colors the maps and participates in discussions. She likes pointing out major waterways, which is why we added labeling rivers.

Order of state mapwork:

Northeast Region: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachussetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut

Mid-Atlantic Region: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Washington, D.C.

Southern Region: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana

Midwest Region: Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas

Southwest Region: Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona

Rockies Region: Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Nevada

Pacific Coast: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii

Sorry to be so long winded, but given the resources available, I don't think you need to purchase a formal curriculum unless you are interested in pursuing a unit study approach. If it's strictly geography study, an atlas, a globe, and free blackline maps are all you need.

My 4th grader is using Geography Songs along with what we call "Daily 6", for very much the same reasons.

Daily 6: I choose 6 places per day, pretty much on the fly, rarely pre-planned. I ask "What is Peru?" He has to answer country/city/state/continent/river/mountain. After he answers correctly (we are on South America in Geography Songs this week, and have already finished Central America and the Caribbean, so he knows Latin America pretty well), I ask him to name the continent Peru is on, and a city in Peru. We repeat with 5 more places. I try to use an equal number of cities/countries, with a sprinkling of states/rivers/mountains, and an occasional continent. I often mix in places in regions we haven't studied yet, to increase his familiarity. He has finally learned that Egypt is a country (not a city or continent) in Africa (not Europe or Asia or North America), for example.

Paired with Geography Songs (memorizing the location on the map of all countries in a region, and listening to the corresponding song daily) and looking through library books about the region we are studying, he has shown improvement since we have been doing this. He still makes occasional crazy mistakes with regions we haven't studied yet, but he is progressing.

For a "quick start" while contemplating what else to use, start your day with 5 minutes of fun, free online geography games:

Owl and Mouse

Kaboose

Sheppard Software

Kids Geo: games

Fun Brain

Learn Games for Kids (scroll down to geography; LOADS of games/activities for each continent)

National Geographic Kids (games)

National Geographic Kids (activities, info)

Play Kids Games ("jigsaw puzzles", each of the countries of a continent -- scroll down the list)

Geo Sense

Mr. Donn's website: list of geography games

Edited by Lori D.

If you happen to have an iPad already, "Stack the States" and "Stack the Countries" are awesome, up to $3 total. Both kids managed to learn all the states & capitals in a week. Since August, they've got all the countries in Asia, Europe, and most of Central/South America (at least name, location, shape and a few tidbits). Now they're working on Africa. Mostly ON THEIR OWN! :lol: However, I do have a couple atlas for reference while they play. Definitely provides good pegs when we discuss news and watch documentaries.

I'm using Memoria Press Geography I with my 7th grader. I believe they schedule into their packages curriculum for 4th grade. It covers Europe, North Africa,and Middle East and reviews states and capitals in the back. Their Geography 2 covers Africa, Asia, Australia, and Antarctica. The second book isn't up for sale on the website yet, but they are good about selling the Beta products if you contact them. We'll be using it next year.

It is very straightforward and only takes a couple of minutes a day.