Menu

Ballet-Based DVDs

In another thread/s redsquirrel and one or two others recommended ballet-based workouts. I'm now totally and absolutely consumed and obsessed with this. :D

I have ordered the Change Your Body DVD and the Element: Ballet Conditioning one. I also managed to get a few Lotte Berk ones just because they were at a decent price and they're good for beginners, although, they're not said to be the best.

Questions:

I really want to get this right. Should I also get a Beginner DVD or something like that? Or are the above sufficient for a beginner like me?

I'm thinking of any of these:

The Bar Method - which is shamefully expensive, but has very good reviews and is said to be good for beginners

The Beginners Workout DVD?

Thank you so much. :)

Sorry to bother everyone with this :tongue_smilie:. My reasons for thinking of a beginner DVD are:

1. because I am one ... and I want to get it right, unless if the above are clear in their instruction of course, and there is no need of a beginner DVD/s

2. I get bored easily. My plan is to try to do a ballet-based workout 3-5 times a week, if possible. So I figure if I have a few DVDs, I'll be less likely to get bored.

Honestly, I think you are good. The Lottie Berks are great for beginners and are only 30 mins long. I found them after I had been doing other stuff and had already outgrown them. And, I find the instructors weird. However, that is a very personal reaction and I don't suggest you pay attention to it, lol.

I recently found on HULU a Kathy Smith workout that is heavily influenced by Lottie Berk.

http://www.hulu.com/kathy-smith?c=Health-and-Wellness

it is called "total body lift"

In the same section of Hulu, health and wellness, there is a 'self' channel'

http://www.hulu.com/self?c=Health-and-Wellness

There is a workout there called "Slim and Sleek Fast" that is supposed to be barre based as well. I haven't done it so I cannot advise either way.

So, now you have two free workouts in addition to what you have bought. I hope that helps you from feeling bored.

There are also a bunch of free Tracy Anderson 'webisodes' for upper, legs and abs on You Tube. They aren't 'barre', but close enough to stave off boredom.

Honestly, I think you are good. The Lottie Berks are great for beginners and are only 30 mins long. I found them after I had been doing other stuff and had already outgrown them. And, I find the instructors weird. However, that is a very personal reaction and I don't suggest you pay attention to it, lol.

Thank you so much for getting back to me on this and for all your kind and wonderful help. :grouphug: I'm so thankful to you for getting me into all this. I'm so excited and consumed with ballet workouts now. :D Yay!

I recently found on HULU

They wouldn't allow me to view since we live outside the U.S. :glare: Too bad. I really like Kathy Smith.

There are also a bunch of free Tracy Anderson 'webisodes' for upper, legs and abs on You Tube. They aren't 'barre', but close enough to stave off boredom.

Just saw a few of these. Thank you. Bookmarking them. :)

The New York City Ballet has two ballet workout DVDs that are excellent. My professional ballerina dd does them on her days off, or when she wants to do a "floor barre". They're very fun and worthwhile.

Diane, thank you. I didn't know they have two. I've only seen one. I was thinking of adding one of them to my wish list. An online friend who's also a dancer type recommended it. But then I read that it's very dance-y and not as geared for the non-dance-y types like me. Not sure if it would be worth my money or not. Again, I'm not very coordinated or dance-y. The last ballet class I took was when I was a kid back in the mid '70s. :tongue_smilie:

The New York City Ballet has two ballet workout DVDs that are excellent. My professional ballerina dd does them on her days off, or when she wants to do a "floor barre". They're very fun and worthwhile.

I have these - I'll have to pull them out and start working out again. :001_smile: Glad to see them recommended.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I absolutely love these. I've used them for years.

The Lottie Berks are great for beginners and are only 30 mins long. I found them after I had been doing other stuff and had already outgrown them. And, I find the instructors weird. However, that is a very personal reaction and I don't suggest you pay attention to it, lol.

Just thought that I watched some videos of these on You Tube this morning while drinking my tea and almost choked from laughter :lol:. Yes, I agree that they are a bit weird to say the least. :D

Still waiting a few more weeks for mine to arrive. Excited and can't wait. :D