Menu

Life of Fred placements

acurtis75

I know there are others who are in about the same mus spot as us who plan to supplement with Life of Fred and thought I would ask for some input. We are 17 lessons in to mus delta. I took the advice from another recent thread and we've just been watching the DVD and testing and moving through the lessons. We've done 17 lessons over the last week. I'm sure we'll slow down when we get to long division. I'm wondering what the best time for starting LOF would be and which book to start with. Now that they have elementary books are most of you starting with those or with the fraction book?

We started with LoF Apples...DS is using Singapore though, not MUS, but is at about a 2nd grade level with math (early multiplication, fractions, etc). I heard so many great things about the Elementary series, so I wanted to start from there and continue. We just moved up to Butterflies now and will TRY to stretch it over 2 months like we did for Apples (we got it at the end of August and while DS wanted to finish the entire book in a day, I tried to stretch it to only 2 chapters or so per week).

I know there are others who are in about the same mus spot as us who plan to supplement with Life of Fred and thought I would ask for some input. We are 17 lessons in to mus delta. I took the advice from another recent thread and we've just been watching the DVD and testing and moving through the lessons. We've done 17 lessons over the last week. I'm sure we'll slow down when we get to long division. I'm wondering what the best time for starting LOF would be and which book to start with. Now that they have elementary books are most of you starting with those or with the fraction book?

If your child has truly mastered (not just familiar with, but mastered) the four basic operations through long division, and is comfy with word problems and math puzzles, they are ready for fractions. Otherwise, I'd start the elementary series. My DS8 is in Singapore 3 and loving LoF Apples for going on 3 months now, but we thoroughly play with every concept hidden in there-- there is a lot of math packed into these books to have fun with, though they could also go much faster (we do not read it every day).

Thanks for the feedback. She has mastered her facts but I think after reviewing the samples I'm going to just start with Apples. It will be easy...and she will go through it quickly but I also think she'll enjoy it. Since math isn't her favorite subject and we're not in a hurry I figure it can't hurt to start at the beginning. I was worried about the cost but I showed dh the samples and he agreed with starting at the beginning and said to just order the first 4 books so when she finished the first one we have the second one ready to start.