Menu

Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills?

Mrs. Lilac

They aren't comprehensive. I knew an almost unschooler that used these for her dc one year and it was a great idea. her dc learned a little bit of everything, and that was better than nothing.

If you are looking for one of these that is a little more thorough, the ones Barnes and NOble publishes and sells, called Flash Kids is really nice. Especially the LA. For math, you'll need additional work most likely.

They're definitely not comprehensive, but they do cover most LA and math skills at least on a basic overview level. I'd guess that many kids probably need more practice than what these books provide, but they may be useful in identifying problem areas. My youngest has been doing the second grade book since August. She's almost done, and since she likes them, I might order her the third grade to continue with, but I may opt for something meatier in math and also try to add in some more social studies and science, which barely get covered (only incidentally, like in reading comprehension passages).

As a core? I wouldn't.

As a fun supplement you can grab anytime that never has to be scheduled? Sure.

As a grab and go collection of workpages for younger siblings who aren't really old enough for real school but really, really, really want their own real schoolwork TOO? Perfect.

As a core? I wouldn't.

As a fun supplement you can grab anytime that never has to be scheduled? Sure.

As a grab and go collection of workpages for younger siblings who aren't really old enough for real school but really, really, really want their own real schoolwork TOO? Perfect.

:iagree:

I like it in the summer or as a back-up for extra practice.

I love the reading and reading comprehension sections in the early levels. The math, and grammar are not great for more than review. The spelling is just reading comp. I felt like the words in first grade were not first grade level spelling words.

I keep them for a fun break, entertainment when I need to do something else. Reinforcement and extra practice, and road trips. It is not enough for a full curriculum. I used the first grade book, a first/second grade math workbook, and what your Kindergartener needs to know for K last year. It worked great, but for first, we needed a more thourough program.