Menu

Anyone using Hist of the Anc World for 6th

Guest mchllglly

Guest mchllglly

My 6th grader finished the 4 years of SOTW and is now back at ancient times. Should he wait to read The History of the Ancient World until he is in 10th grade.

I would save that for high school. I don't think the reading level or content is appropriate for middle school. My dd has a high reading level, but I wouldn't give her this for a history book.

A lot of people use the K12 history book, which I can't remember the name of.

:iagree:

I totally agree with Karen. HOTAW would not work with my middle school-age children, and I am still deciding if I will use it for my high schooler (9th) next year. If you want to make absolutely sure, preview it yourself. I just read Chapter 11 this morning. The story about Pharaoh Khufu (Cheops) told about how he had his daughter sell her "services" for money when he needed extra cash to build the Great Pyramid. :001_huh: I like the book, though.

:iagree: (with everyone else). I'm reading History of the Ancient World right now. I would never use it with a middle school child. I'm not completely sure I would use it with a highschooler, either. But I'm enjoying reading it myself (well sort-of. ;) I keep getting lost in all the Mesopotamian kings whose names sound alike and who regularly destroy each other's kingdoms.)

I really like Oxford's The World in Ancient Times for middle school. I find myself fascinated every time I pick up dd's history book.

• 2 weeks later...

The K12 history text is called "Human Odyssey" volumes 1-3. When searching for it make sure you include "K12" or "K-12". This is the text we're using purchased used from Amazon for about $20-$25 per book. I would have to say it is the least "textbookish" textbook I've ever seen (other then SOTW). Well written in narrative style it's not hard to read even for my dyslexic 5th grader. I also like Oxfords "The World in Ancient Times" series(set of 7 books). They also have a series for Medieval Times. They cost anywhere from $8-$30 so kind of expensive but I really like them too.

Someone posted this link today http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=world%27s%20story%20tappan%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts it's a series of 15 books. I haven't had much time to look them over yet but seems very interesting. They seem to be stories, poetry, and songs from different eras and areas. You can download as PDF, Kindle, read online and a bunch of other options.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy