Menu

WWE 2 Question

We are finishing the fifth week of WWE 2 and my daughter is still having a hard time taking dictation. The dictations are two sentences long and she can't hold all that in her head. She can do one sentence at a time but the book says to only read the sentences twice and then the child repeat and then write them.

Should I just ignore the instructions and dictate one sentence at a time or do I need to help her learn to hold two sentences in her head? I found it strange that the dictation included two sentences so early in the book. I would have thought they would have had the child master writing one before going onto writing two. :confused:

Here's my question--do you go back and correct mistakes in dictation? If they write essentially the same thing, but change a few words? I tend to think this is unnecessary, they are not memorizing, but holding words in their head to put down on paper. What do you do?

Here's my question--do you go back and correct mistakes in dictation? If they write essentially the same thing, but change a few words? I tend to think this is unnecessary, they are not memorizing, but holding words in their head to put down on paper. What do you do?

I am trying to think of when it would be necessary to write word for word what someone is saying.....unless you are one of those people in courts...what are they called?

I don't think DS would like me standing over his shoulder gently correcting. Writing has been a little slow for him and he is really making progress. We only started with WWE2 this year, we did not do the first book. He really feels proud when he thinks he has written it perfectly after only reading it to him one or two times and not again after he has begun. From the Patchwork passage, he did change the wording a little. He did not want me to repeat it, but rather do it on his own. FOr our purpose correcting would take away from the positive.

I know it is supposed to be for getting thoughts from your head to the paper, but rephrasing slightly while still using proper puncuation, for ME is perfectly fine for now. Hopefully I am not ruining him for allowing this LOL.

For dd8 she struggles with this too. So I repeat the sentences and break them up and repeat. For example.

He was wearing rags and carrying a great burden upon his back.

She will struggle and I'll repeat the entire sentence 12 times if I have to and she'll get it! :) Just be patient and encouraging!

I have before broke the sentence in half but realized it confused her and she'd put a comma where I broke the sentence in half. So I stopped that and went back to repeating the entire sentence as many times as she needed.

I think the point of writing the sentence exactly as dictated is to help the child learn to keep their words in order.

Later on, when they're writing their own arguments, they need to keep their thoughts in order and the sentence they want to write in order while getting it onto paper. If they're changing their sentences all the time in their head as they're writing, then the resulting written sentence will not be as clear.

I've noticed that the dictation length in the workbook of WWE2 is not what is suggested in the hardcover book of instruction. They're a LOT longer. ;) I'm not sure why this is, and since I don't have either book in front of me at the moment, I can't give you a precise example. However, I know we did some pretty significant trimming in the early exercises for dictation purposes. Truthfully, my daughter has a ridiculous memory, but even though she could remember the passages, she had a rough time with the physical writing of all the words.

So I think definitely going sentence-by-sentence at this stage and age is more than reasonable. I'm glad to see that SWB agrees. :D