Menu

What Exercise Program/DVDs, etc. should I try?

5 years ago I started loosing weight. I lost about 70 pounds through a tiny bit of WW on my own and just increased exercise, walking, etc.

Then 1 1/2 years ago I hurt my ankle and that really limited my exercise and over time I gained about 30 of it back.

I really need to get back in some sort of a program, etc. If I could loose 30 pounds I would be really happy but in reality, I could lose 60 and still be OK.

I already walk 2-4 miles, 2-4 times a week with a friend, do horse chores (including scooping poop, lifting hay, carrying grain, water, etc) for 3 horses twice a day, do water aerobics once a week now (just started back) so I am not inactive at all.

I saw the Firm Express on an infomerical and that looks good--esp. considering that you don't do the same video over and over again but I am not sure my ankle (tendonitis and bone spurs) would hold up to that high impact. I do get bored easily though and going to the Y more than the once a week for the water aerobics is hard due to time and distance--right now I combine it with groceries, banking, etc.

Anyone have great luck with:

T-tapp

Strong Women Stay Slim/Young/Strong (weight lifting)

other DVDs

5 years ago I started loosing weight. I lost about 70 pounds through a tiny bit of WW on my own and just increased exercise, walking, etc.

Then 1 1/2 years ago I hurt my ankle and that really limited my exercise and over time I gained about 30 of it back.

I really need to get back in some sort of a program, etc. If I could loose 30 pounds I would be really happy but in reality, I could lose 60 and still be OK.

I already walk 2-4 miles, 2-4 times a week with a friend, do horse chores (including scooping poop, lifting hay, carrying grain, water, etc) for 3 horses twice a day, do water aerobics once a week now (just started back) so I am not inactive at all.

I saw the Firm Express on an infomerical and that looks good--esp. considering that you don't do the same video over and over again but I am not sure my ankle (tendonitis and bone spurs) would hold up to that high impact. I do get bored easily though and going to the Y more than the once a week for the water aerobics is hard due to time and distance--right now I combine it with groceries, banking, etc.

Anyone have great luck with:

T-tapp

Strong Women Stay Slim/Young/Strong (weight lifting)

other DVDs

What is your greatest challenge - the need for variety or virtually no high impact?

Well really both along we a time limit of 20 minutes or so a day. I am in my early 40s and overweight with a not so great ankle. I also get bored and don't want to do the same thing over and over again.

Instant weight loss would be good.

Well really both along we a time limit of 20 minutes or so a day. I am in my early 40s and overweight with a not so great ankle. I also get bored and don't want to do the same thing over and over again.

Instant weight loss would be good.

10 minute trainer by tony horton. I can't guarantee instant weight loss unless you starve yourself. sorry. ;)

The workouts are in 10 minute segments so if you have more time you could do 30 minutes.

I will PM you the link.

I can't guarantee instant weight loss unless you starve yourself.

:iagree:

Instant weight loss is no easy task and exercise alone seldom helps. Diet is about 80%, if not, 90% when it comes to weight loss.

a time limit of 20 minutes or so a day. I am in my early 40s and overweight with a not so great ankle. I also get bored and don't want to do the same thing over and over again.Instant weight loss would be good.

Collagevideo is a fabulous site. You can do all sorts of searches and watch video clips. I just did a search for 20 minutes and there were more than 70 or so videos. I have a few of those listed and like them. I love how you can refine your search on this site - by instructor, level, type of workout, etc.

I hear you on the getting bored thing. I suffer from that also. Hence why I have so many DVDs ... which I don't always use :tongue_smilie: but very much need to.

Currently, I am absolutely fascinated (as in all-consumed!) and simply cannot wait to soon receive a Ballet Based DVD. Heard lots of good things about here on these boards. I've been reading lots about it since. Would work out well with your ankle situation. BTDT thanks to Jillian Michaels a few years ago. :glare: There are some other ballet ones, but I think this link is the best. My thoughts are to do ballet-based workouts every other day and then rotate with other stuff - weights, yoga, cardio, swimming, whatever.

Do be aware that many DVDs that say they're 80 minutes or whatever may be 80 minutes because they have more than 1 workout within that DVD, which is a good thing since you may be less likely to get bored and you'll get more bang for your buck.

I like DVDs by Jari Love - very no-nonsense. Great instruction. Super-effective. I didn't think I would like her at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

Denise Austin has lots and lots of DVDs - which are short and effective. But many find her annoying. I think she's funny and don't mind her voice, etc. I've linked her 20 or so minute workouts.

Leslie Sansone - any of her 2 Mile DVDs might be something you might like. Or you could get some of her longer ones and do different miles to prevent boredom. I like this one in particular. But she has lots and lots (and I have many of them).

I'm not going to recommend high-intensity stuff like Billy Blanks, Jillian Michaels, etc. Not good for your ankle.

I like Kathy Smith. She has one called Lift Weights to Lose Weight. She's another one that has lots and lots of DVDs.

Have fun searching. :) You could always slowly build up your collection. Maybe if you workout x number of days a month, you could treat yourself to a new DVD every now and again. Something like that. I love setting goals like that for myself.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I was looking at Beach Body videos the other day after another thread. One I saw as ChaLEAN Extreme. On it, it said how it was "more" than some of the beginner videos. It sounds like you can handle that. But in the reviews, it discussed how people with joint issues (knee, being older, etc) could easily do it. My daughter can't have more than low impact, preferably no impact, due to her joint issues so this sounded just right for her. It may be for you also. It is not, however, only 20 minutes; but it isn't an hour either. Oh, but it is multiple programs in one. I am with you on the boredom factor. I like mixing it up. It looked like this one was three different ones for each of three months, so nine altogether? And then they have the bonuses also. I don't remember what they are, but bonuses usually have something specific for abs or a fun intense different work out.

Anyway, there are tons of videos, a chart to help you decide, and lots of information on the website. I'm sure you can find one that works for you.

Another one I thought of - can you tell that I'm on a roll :D:

JILLIAN MICHAELS NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES

This one uses weights and is similar to the 30 Day Shred, but no cardio moves - no jumping and risk of injury.

Longer than 20 minutes, but I don't think you have to do it all in one go. If I remember correctly, there are different levels.

Great for overall muscle toning