Menu

Reading grade level please help!

Prahl

Hi everyone my daughter just started reading fluently "bob books." she just turned 4 and I was wondering how do I know what grade level she is or will be reading at in the future, is there a chart. How do you guys establish reading level? I've looked on the internet and got nothing. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Take a book she can read and plug of into the scholastic book wizard. It will tell you the level, then do a.search for more books at that level. She is most likely at a k or 1st grade level. Find a few of those and have her try, when they get easy for higher levels.asy, start look

how do I know what grade level she is or will be reading at in the future

Just curious, because I'm a troublemaker... why do you need to know? :lol:

Out of my 4 kids, two read eagerly at 3 (one early, one late), one reluctantly at 4, and one reluctantly at 6/7. The age at which they first read has little to do with intelligence or their performance in any school subjects, even those that seem relevant, like phonics or spelling. It has NOT been a predictor of anything wonderful or dire in their teenage years, I can tell you that. :-)

If I were you, and I kind of am, because my just-turned-4-yo is voraciously chewing his way through his second box of BOB Books, I'd just find her stuff she enjoyed reading and let her read it.

Show her words everywhere you go: street signs, menus, elevator buttons, whatever, and don't worry about calculating grade level until she's ready for more formal work. But then, that's just me.

I just want to be the one parent on this board who says - "Whoah, 4??? Even if she's reading, she's still a baby..."

Take a book she can read and plug of into the scholastic book wizard. It will tell you the level, then do a.search for more books at that level.

This is what I do. :)

how do I know what grade level she is or will be reading at in the future

Are you trying to predict what age she'll be reading in the future? You can't. Children aren't linear in learning to read. Some kids will start to read and just stay at a low level for a LONG time. Some kids will start to read and take off, jumping up to high school level within a year. Some kids will start to read and go at a decent pace, staying close to "grade level" in their reading. And there are a million places inbetween those where a kid can be. Your kid might jump ahead and then stall for a while, or she might take a long time to get past where she is now. You can't predict future reading. Period.

Just let her have at it in the library, and start a gentle phonics program in K (or if she really wants to do school, you can try earlier, but 4 year olds are hit or miss as far as "school" goes, so if she resists, back off and try again a year later).

Are you trying to predict what age she'll be reading in the future? You can't. Children aren't linear in learning to read. Some kids will start to read and just stay at a low level for a LONG time. Some kids will start to read and take off, jumping up to high school level within a year. Some kids will start to read and go at a decent pace, staying close to "grade level" in their reading. And there are a million places inbetween those where a kid can be. Your kid might jump ahead and then stall for a while, or she might take a long time to get past where she is now. You can't predict future reading. Period.

Just let her have at it in the library, and start a gentle phonics program in K (or if she really wants to do school, you can try earlier, but 4 year olds are hit or miss as far as "school" goes, so if she resists, back off and try again a year later).

(bold mine)

:iagree:

My own dd decoded words a week before she turned 4. She stayed on first level bob books and Primary Phonics books for quite a while. In first grade, we visited her preschool classroom teacher for fun--She asked if my dd was reading Henry and Mudge yet. Nope--this was in Sept. By December of that same year, she was reading Little House in the Big Woods by herself. She read Secret Garden by the middle of second grade. You never know!

Ds, by way of contrast, struggled with reading all thru kindy. In first grade, he was 7 in Sept. He started phonics (switched schools and was in a Montessori) and read his first Bob Book in Oct. Two years later, he was absolutely hooked on reading!! Went on the Great Books study, and still enjoys reading (tho he's mostly a visual, film person).

Just curious, because I'm a troublemaker... why do you need to know?

I just want to be the one parent on this board who says - "Whoah, 4??? Even if she's reading, she's still a baby..."

The reasson I would like to know is becuase she will start school officially next year by the state of florida. So I would like to know so I dont hold her back she moves pretty quickly through everything, she is always asking me to do school. We do everything hands on. Were more montessori at this age.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you trying to predict what age she'll be reading in the future? nope I'm trying to stay head, I know this this is a question I would ask in the future so when does it come up I know what to do. I like to stay ahead I have to with her. I dont brag and hate it when she sees how diffrent she is or I get adults who are rude to her for being profoundly gifted. I do hold her back which is something I have to gert over. Since I always gery people saying let her be. I am, if I don't teach her she will do it herself.

sorry for any typos I'm writing on a phone with swype type and have bad eye sight I need to gets glasses. Lol

Take a book she can read and plug of into the scholastic book wizard. It will tell you the level, then do a.search for more books at that level. She is most likely at a k or 1st grade level. Find a few of those and have her try, when they get easy for higher levels.asy, start look

Thanks this is great it will help me be able to get her age appropriate books as well as keep track of what level she is reading at

The reasson I would like to know is becuase she will start school officially next year by the state of florida. So I would like to know so I dont hold her back she moves pretty quickly through everything, she is always asking me to do school. We do everything hands on. Were more montessori at this age.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you planning to homeschool her? If so, forget the grade levels. Just give her material that works for her. My oldest is accelerated. I've just met him where he is all along this journey, in every subject. I don't use boxed curriculum that says "grade 2" on it. That clearly wouldn't work. I pick and choose the level he is for each individual subject. Oh, and because his reading is well above grade level, I don't use "reading programs". I just give him good literature from the library (or thrift store, since my friend finds me all kinds of quality books for dirt cheap :D).

My middle son is getting close to reading. He'll be K next year also. We're doing K level phonics and math now, since he asked to go ahead and start (he turns 5 next week, so he'll be an older K'er anyway). So far, he hasn't gone as fast as his big brother has, but this child has a habit of not knowing anything, then suddenly something turns on in his brain and he jumps way ahead, so he could be anywhere at this point next year. Doesn't matter. We use the library a lot, so it's easy enough to just pick appropriate level books. We will also go his pace in all other subjects - again, at whatever pace he needs to go, fast or slow. :)

Scholastic Book Wizard is really helpful in determining what reading level you're currently at and which books would be a good idea to use next. Also, be sure to give easy books, once her reading level is high enough that there are books one or two levels below her current level. The easy books build fluency and reading enjoyment.