Menu

Dr, Hive: How much healing should I be seeing?

Update:Looks a little better. Actually see some healing...not much but the open areas don't look as wet and fresh. No more bleeding. Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

Dd had to get stitches in her leg on Tuesday. I was a little disappointed last night when we did the nightly bandage change. I would have thought I would see some healing by now. The way the injury is, the stitches are a jumble and thoughts of it not holding were mentioned. The first time we took the bandages off everything was nice and tightly stitched. But last night I notices some areas that look open and pink inside (small areas but these were not there before). It does not look infected, the skin around it is not pink, no pain what so ever, and the oozing has minimized. Am I being unrealistic in thinking this should be looking better?

Edited by Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

We don't have a pediatrician yet,(new state and dd hasn't needed a Dr. since the move). I think if I am still not seeing improvement by Monday morning I could call one and hope they will see her. She goes Friday for stitch removal, but that is at the ER.

Sometimes when you call an ER they will advise you whether to come in or not. Also insurance companies sometimes have nurses to consult. It is good that it is not red, warm, swollen, or oozing drainage. As for three 1 mm open areas, I think it depends how big the cut is. If it gets worse, I would definitely want to have it checked or if there are any signs of infection. Ideally the stitching should be pretty much together. I would try to get a pediatrician soon since they can be really handy and save you money.:grouphug:

I had to get four stitches for a cut just above my knee. It was the summer before my freshman year of high school, and the doctor/s mentioned that it was a bad place for stitches. I was too young for them to expect me to not bend my leg for the duration of the healing, yet every time I bent my knee too far the skin would stretch while the stitches didn't. It took longer to heal because the stitches couldn't keep the edges of the wound together. I ended up with a pretty wide scar there (maybe .5 cm) and even the stitch holes scarred. I don't mind so much, though. When people ask, I can tell them truthfully, "Oh, that happened when I dropped my brother's car on my knee." Great conversation opener, you know? :D

If there's no infection and no bad smell, I would be okay with it. But then, that's me.

Mama Anna

I had to get four stitches for a cut just above my knee. It was the summer before my freshman year of high school, and the doctor/s mentioned that it was a bad place for stitches. I was too young for them to expect me to not bend my leg for the duration of the healing, yet every time I bent my knee too far the skin would stretch while the stitches didn't. It took longer to heal because the stitches couldn't keep the edges of the wound together. I ended up with a pretty wide scar there (maybe .5 cm) and even the stitch holes scarred. I don't mind so much, though. When people ask, I can tell them truthfully, "Oh, that happened when I dropped my brother's car on my knee." Great conversation opener, you know? :D

If there's no infection and no bad smell, I would be okay with it. But then, that's me.

Mama Anna

This is what my DH said, especially since she has no pain whatsoever. It is in a bad spot, right above the knee and we knew it might not hold.

Guess I will carry on as is unless things get worse in any way.