Menu

Science for 2nd grade

workingmom

I thought this year being my first year of hs, I'd just use the template of 'What every 2nd grader Needs to Know" for my science stuff. There are actually only 9 sections there, and then we have lots of the Usbourne and library books every week about science concepts, or habitats, or whatever animal they are interested in laying around. Plus ds loves Magic School Bus and I usually pick up a few books related to what he's reading about. Does that seem enough? I was making the weekly curriculum and it doesn't seem like a big time slot. I have it assigned to one day a week not including his reading and informal flipping through books.

Do you use a more formal science approach?

The only things I'd add is experiments, maybe some kits and nature study. Barb has nature study assignments at her blog that make it super easy to get started, http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/harmonyartmom or http://www.handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com

:) Just have fun with it, that is the most important thing you can do is share the fun and wonder of science with your younger children, it will make such an impact on them that will last their whole lives as well as make some wonderful memories.

I don't and I'm a former Science teacher.

For K, 1st, and 2nd, I just use the What your ____ needs to know, Magic School Bus Books, and I occasionally use the Science lessons from The Mailbox series.

Science for that age should be fun, explorative, and based on things that they encounter in their everyday lives.

Once they get into third grade, I move them into the Harcourt Science texts. But we still keep science fun and everyday.

We're trying out CLE Sunrise Science for 2nd grade. It does a bird study that gets great reviews. We don't normally do a formal science study till 4th or 5th grade, but the CLE seemed to pique the boys interest, and is only a semester in length, so I could actually stretch it out over the whole year doing it once or twice a week.

I will say, my kids have learned most of their science stuff (which they are continually schooling me on) from videos by National Geographic for Kids, Eyewitness, Magic Schoolbus, and Bill Nye. Science is so visual, and I believe it lends itself well to being taught via videos.