Menu

I need a good read/ web resource for dealing with senility in loved ones.

The Alzheimer's Association has a lot of good resources for caregivers/loved ones of someone with any form of dementia! Here is a little booklet that you can download for free that was a good starting point (link is upper right on the page): http://www.alzheimersplaybook.com/ It's by a man who had to learn as he went while taking care of his beloved wife with Alz.

I don't have any good resources to share, but I want to say that you need to keep a good sense of humor. It was so important for dealing with my grandpa... He went down a hotel hallway one night with no clothes on, knocking on every door he went by... Yeah, it's better to laugh. Otherwise, you'll lose your mind.

Also, allow yourself emotions. Don't stuff them down and not deal with them. My mother went into the weirdest mid-life crisis when dealing with my grandpa. Allow yourself to feel and talk things out with people and make sure you don't take everything on all by yourself.

I don't have any good resources to share, but I want to say that you need to keep a good sense of humor. It was so important for dealing with my grandpa... He went down a hotel hallway one night with no clothes on, knocking on every door he went by... Yeah, it's better to laugh. Otherwise, you'll lose your mind.

Also, allow yourself emotions. Don't stuff them down and not deal with them. My mother went into the weirdest mid-life crisis when dealing with my grandpa. Allow yourself to feel and talk things out with people and make sure you don't take everything on all by yourself.

Oh, I know I am going to have to have that kind of attitude! A sense of humor is definitely going to be needed, great advice.

And yes, I need someone to talk to. Right now I feel...honestly?..... sorta angry about it all! It wasn't supposed to happen yet! I'm supposed to be able to have a few years before dealing with this - I need a little more time to get my own kids polished and ready to launch! And many other complicated emotions... I will really have to figure out who I can turn to to keep talking things out.

Thanks for your input, sputterduck.