Menu

Latin for Children vs Prima Latina

TXMary2

DS is currently using Song School Latin. When he finishes it, I am not sure where to go next. I looked at the samples of Prima Latina, and it looks like it will cover a lot of the same material and then some, as the SSL covers. I like that it looks straightforward and methodical.

Latin for Children A has so many components! It also looks a lot more complicated that PL.

If you have used or are using Latin For Children, please tell me about it.

I did SSL with DD and when we got to the end decided to go with Prima Latina. We're now done with PL and have moved on to LFCa. LFC does have a lot of parts. I think it's a great program and we love it. DD really enjoys the program and loves the dvd's with the children chanting and the activity books. However, it is more difficult and covers declensions and grammar and we just weren't ready for that when we finished SSL. PL was a good bridge between the two. It mentions parts of speech and covers lots of derivatives but doesn't get too detailed. Like SSL it's more about learning vocabulary than the structure of Latin grammar. I liked that she learned derivatives and some prayers and hymns in Latin and DD learned a lot. On the downside, it's not near as fun. When we completed it and pulled out the LFC and plugged in the DVD dd actually started clapping. I don't know how far you have to go in SSL but they are working on SSL2. Had that been ready we probably would have skipped PL. If it's not ready I say go for PL before you do LFC.

I felt like dd and I were ready for the increased difficulty in LFCa. When we first finished SSL I didn't think we could handle LFC. When we finished Prima Latina & looked at Latina Christiana and LFC but ultimately decided to go with LFC. Here were my reasons:

1) LFC materials are a little more entertaining. I'm not usually one to go out of my way to make school "fun" and other parents who do would probably not consider LFC fun but dd likes the children on the dvd and the little story vignettes that they have between some lessons.

2) LFC seemed to have more new material. Latina Christiana repeats a lot of the same vocabulary from Prima Latina. DD is a fast learner and probably wouldn't want to spend half a year reviewing what she already knows.

3) The website with videos, electronic flash cards & games. We don't do much screen time but this was a nice option to have and we occassionally use it.

4) The memoria press materials have a Catholic slant. We're no Catholic but the prayers/songs to memorize in PL were find with our protestant beliefs but looking at the books that come later in the series there was a little more Catholic content. Nothing major but since the LFC is written from more of a general Christian perspective I thought it was a better fit. This one really wasn't a bit deal for me but with the other reasons it tipped the scale towards LFC

I figured if LFC was difficult we would just go slowly and spend several weeks on each lesson if necessary. So far we are 7 chapters in to the book and it's going great. I don't think we could have done it a year ago.

I felt like dd and I were ready for the increased difficulty in LFCa. When we first finished SSL I didn't think we could handle LFC. When we finished Prima Latina & looked at Latina Christiana and LFC but ultimately decided to go with LFC. Here were my reasons:

1) LFC materials are a little more entertaining. I'm not usually one to go out of my way to make school "fun" and other parents who do would probably not consider LFC fun but dd likes the children on the dvd and the little story vignettes that they have between some lessons.

2) LFC seemed to have more new material. Latina Christiana repeats a lot of the same vocabulary from Prima Latina. DD is a fast learner and probably wouldn't want to spend half a year reviewing what she already knows.

3) The website with videos, electronic flash cards & games. We don't do much screen time but this was a nice option to have and we occassionally use it.

4) The memoria press materials have a Catholic slant. We're no Catholic but the prayers/songs to memorize in PL were find with our protestant beliefs but looking at the books that come later in the series there was a little more Catholic content. Nothing major but since the LFC is written from more of a general Christian perspective I thought it was a better fit. This one really wasn't a bit deal for me but with the other reasons it tipped the scale towards LFC

I figured if LFC was difficult we would just go slowly and spend several weeks on each lesson if necessary. So far we are 7 chapters in to the book and it's going great. I don't think we could have done it a year ago.

Thank you.

DS is currently using Song School Latin. When he finishes it, I am not sure where to go next. I looked at the samples of Prima Latina, and it looks like it will cover a lot of the same material and then some, as the SSL covers. I like that it looks straightforward and methodical.

Latin for Children A has so many components! It also looks a lot more complicated that PL.

If you have used or are using Latin For Children, please tell me about it.

Prima Latina is methodical, but it sent Rabbit to sleep. She has found Latin for Children much more interesting. Yes, it does have more "bits", but you can teach it with just the book, teacher manual and CD/DVD just like Prima Latina/Latina Christiana offers if you want to keep it simple. Then if you want more variety later, CAP have other options.

As the PP mentioned, CAP are producing SSL2, although I'm not sure if anyone has found out when they plan for it to be published. Ideally I'd like it sometime this academic year for Pooh ;)

I just wanted to add that Memoria Press is Protestant. I believe they are Episcopal. I absolutely love First Form Latin. I am using that to teach myself Latin right now. I am planning on using PL and LC I before moving onto FFL. I like the review element since I am starting Latin in 2nd grade. I want my kids to feel success at Latin. I have not looked much at LFC, but it also looks like an excellent program. Could you maybe compare them at a HS conference so you could see more of the program?

After reading the comment from pp I looked a little further and it seems the authors for memoria press come from a diverse Christian background. Some are catholic and some are Protestant. Henle seems to be the only text they sell that specifically states a Catholic point of view.

Latin Highlands School is housed at a Catholic Church but it is not a Catholic school, nor is MP (the publishing branch of LHS) "Catholic." They are decidedly classical in orientation, and as such, bring songs, history and phrases from that orientation to thier work (check out Lingua Angelica- which is oft referenced in LC I, worth every penny imho :)). My kids loved the DVD's and consider Leigh Lowe a personal friend ;) (they would not say the same thing of Martin Cothran and Traditional Logic- lol!)

My 8 yo loves LC I (we did PL last year without the workbook, just kind of breezed through). My boys are doing FFL and love it. For me, with LC I & II under my belt and going through FFL with my boys, I am finally really getting Latin and it's actually just a breeze for the boys.

I know lots of people like LfC, but the ones that I know that use it don't get into Latin as a high school class and they are not concerned with translation. Their focus has been on derivatives, not learning the language. That being said, the folks that I know that use LfC LOVE it.

Guest Tanya Charlton

Actually, one campus of Highlands Latin School in Louisville is situated at Crescent Hill Baptist Church and the new campus is on land owned by HLS.

Tanya