Menu

Back and joint pain in mid-40s: is this common? Or am I unusual?

Dh finally convinced me to visit his chiropractor after watching me hobble around all weekend, trying to keep from putting my weight on my left knee. I had hauled my textbook and laptop all over campus one day, and even though I didn't experience any specific injury, my knee flared up that night and has been sore ever since.

Today the chiro. went over my x-rays. My hips are obviously out of line on the films. One is rotated forward and the other back. There is deterioration of a couple of lumbar vertebrae and spurring on one.

Is this common at my age?

Seriously. I am hobbling around like my grandmother did in her 80s. And I was hoping -- HOPING -- that losing weight and exercising (which I'm not currently doing :glare:) would help to prevent the stiffness she experienced.

I know some people have much more severe problems at this age, so I'm not whining. I'm just curious to know how common this is.

I'm seriously not looking forward to any deterioration over the next 40+ years I was planning to hang around . . .

(The chiro. wants me to take it easy on the little exercising I do until my treatment is underway and I get some relief from the sore muscles in my low back.)

Hi Tanya,

I'm sorry to hear you're having stiffness and pain, I know how uncomfortable that can be. I would give your chiropractor sometime to work on you before you start worrying. Who knows what you did to yourself initially to cause all of this. You could have hurt your ankle a little, which could have caused you to twist your hips funny throwing your back out of alignment, etc, etc. One thing happens in your body and the other parts of it compensate in very strange ways :lol:.

As for the deterioration and spur I would discuss this further with your chiro. Is this the first time you have had these type of problems?

Good luck and I hope you find some relief!

Marisa

I have long term back/neck issues due to scoliosis and bone spurs. I find it quite discouraging.

One thing I have learned over many years is that the very most effective approach to back pain is a COMBINATION of chiropractic care AND physical therapy (exercise). Doing one without the other means you will linger in pain. I have also found many chiropractors minimize the effects and importance of exercise and honestly just don't really understand the interplay between soft tissue and bones.

Bottom line, continue with the chiropractor, but make him or your gp write a prescription for physical therapy. Once you know what exercises will help your condition, go for it. Just make sure you find a pt who takes more of a sports and exercise approach--there are some pts who focus more on stretching, heat, and massage. Proactive exercising is key.

You will find that you hold the chiropractic adjustments much, much better if your muscles are stronger. Weak muscles do not hold adjustments well or for long.

Agreeing with all of the above - water workouts, chiro, etc.

Sorry that you're having such pain and discomfort. :grouphug:

Some info that might be of help.

Ginger can reduce inflammation. Grate it into soups and stews.

Eat cherries as often as possible. Consuming 20 a day (about 2000 mg of cherry fruit extract) has been proven to provide more pain relief than aspirin and other painkillers.

Limit or avoid all meats and animal products until you are healed. Animal protein contains uric acid, which puts undue strain on the kidneys that can contribute to back pain.

Vitamin D3 – up to 2000-5000 IU – When vitamin D levels are low – and they are in many people – it can cause a cascading effect of chemical reactions that affect bone metabolism. The result is that the surface of the bones become softer. This condition is called osteomalacia, and osteomalacia causes backaches and pain.

This softening of bones can be so mild it’s subclinical – which means you can’t identify it yet. But it could still be responsible for your pain. The problem stems from a lack of circulating calcium caused by insufficient vitamin D. So the solution is to take more D, not more calcium.

If you are over 50 and don’t spend much time in the sun each day, take at least 5000 IU.

Helps relieve chronic back pain

One recent study showed that 95% of participants improved after taking D3 for 3 months

Chronic back pain patients should try taking 5000-10,000 IU daily for 3 months

640 mg Strontium significantly reduces back pain by building bone density and even prevents arthritic progression

400 mg willow bark eases back pain – twice as effective as Motrin – 1 capsule – 400 mg – up to 6 times a day

Boswellia – Source Naturals Boswellia – 1 capsule 3 times a day with food

Devil’s Claw – 2 Capsules – 480 mg – twice a day with food

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency:

Joint Pain

Muscle cramps or twitching or spasms

HOW MUCH TO TAKE

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (and most of us do), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

NATURAL SOURCES

Almonds

Avocado

Barley

Beans

Brazil nuts

Brown rice

Buckwheat

Dark Chocolate

Dates

Figs

Garlic

Greens (including Collard Greens and Dandelion Greens)

Kelp

Molasses

Millet

Parsley

Pecans

Rye

Sea vegetables (seaweed and kelp – but make sure they come from non-polluted waters and are high-quality)

Shrimp

Walnuts

Whole Grains

Wheat bran

Wheat germ

EPSOM SALTS BATH

Taking a bath or a foot soak with Epsom salts is one of the best ways to increase the body’s absorption of magnesium. Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate and are easily absorbed by the body.

Take a hot bath with up to 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda (optional) to help draw toxins out of the body. Try to do this once a week, but for no more than 20 minutes. A foot soak can also be very beneficial.

Epsom salts are so helpful in bringing relief to:

• Arthritis pain, stiffness, soreness, and tightness of joints

• Muscle aches, pains and tenderness

• Painful bruises, sprains and strains

• Pain from over exertion as a result of exercise

• Insomnia and Sleep Problems

• Stress

• Insect Bites and Splinters

REASONS FOR MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

Diets that are highly-processed and refined – mostly white flour, red meat, and dairy – none of these have magnesium. Food processing removes much of the magnesium (as well as other minerals) that’s naturally found in certain foods.

Antacids and other indigestion medicines disrupt magnesium absorption.

Modern farming practices deplete magnesium and other minerals in the soil.

Medications including diuretics, birth control pills, insulin, tetracycline and other antibiotics, and cortisone lead to magnesium deficiencies.

Too much calcium often leads to an imbalance . These two minerals need to be in balance.

Silica or horsetail - 3 times daily - Supplies silicon, which improves calcium uptake.

Vitamin B12 - 2000 mcg daily - aids in calcium absorption and digestion. Use sublingual form.

5 grams of the sugar D-ribose twice daily will stimulate the production of ATP, the fuel that powers your body’s tissues and muscles. People who suffer from excessive joint and muscle pain and fibromyalgia (widespread muscle pain) often have low levels of ribose.

2000 mg of cherry fruit extract daily has been proven to provide more pain relief than aspirin and other painkillers.

OTHER TIPS

When pain hits, immediately drink 2 large glasses of water. This often gives relief within minutes. Muscle ache and back pain is frequently connected to dehydration. The body needs enough water to keep acidic wastes from building up in muscles and other tissues.

If pain follows an injury or sudden movement, apply ice for the first 48 hours, and then apply heat. Rest on a firm bed. When getting up, roll to your side, draw your knees up, push up to a sitting position, and stand by pushing up with your legs.

Soak in a very warm bath or apply a heating pad directly to your back. Be careful not to set the heat too high, however. Soak in a warm or hot bath for 20 minutes with ½ cup baking soda or 1 cup Epsom salts for added relief.

SLEEP - Get enough sleep. Your body needs a full night of quality sleep to fight pain.

Arnica relieves inflammation. Nelsons Arnica Cream or Tiger Balm

ACUPUNCTURE really, really helps

Iyengar Yoga focuses on body alignment – greatly reduces pain – to locate an instructor, go to inynaus.org

CHIROPRACTIC/MASSAGE – both help immensely with pain

Be aware that you should wait for any inflammation to subside before starting either.

EXERCISE – Begin with a daily 10-minute walk, take up a gentle yoga class, or try the slow movement of Tai Chi. Water aerobics and swimming help also.

STRETCHING

Be particularly careful if you have a competitive personality if you tend to push yourself to your limits. You could injure yourself if you stretch too much or for too long.

Stretching should not hurt and it should get easier over time. Begin your stretching exercises at the point where you begin to feel tension. Then hold this position for 30-60 seconds. Your muscles should become looser and the stretching easier. If it is not easier, back off.

Too much stretching causes more pain, not less. The very best way to begin a stretching program is after an evaluation by a physical therapist, chiropractor, or medical doctor. Bring the book “Stretching†by Bob Anderson, to their office to ask which exercises are most appropriate for you. It’s considered the gold standard of stretching books.

If you stretch without some kind of warm-up, you can hurt yourself. Cold muscles don’t stretch easily. Begin any stretching program very slowly and gradually increase the number of stretches, the time it takes to do them, and the amount of tension in your stretches.

It’s best to stretch later in the day when your muscles are warm, but many people find it helps their pain when they stretch first thing in the morning. It doesn’t matter as long as you’ve warmed your muscles. Either do your morning stretches slowly or stretch after taking a hot shower. Stretch after staying in one position for a long time like sitting and watching TV or typing at a computer.

Lower back pain is one of the many symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing

• Daily Dry Body Brushing

• Massage and/or Reflexology – Reflexology is particularly effective for back pain

• Swinging

BOOK

Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain by Pete Egoscue

Sorry if some of this is repetitive.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Carlson’s Fish Oil is a very good brand – Omega 3s are anti-inflammatory

1500 mg Glucosamine and 1200 mg Choindrotin Sulfate 3 times a day- try it for 3 months and see if you notice a difference

Often, dehydration causes joint pain, which progresses to stiff pain. Make sure you’re drinking enough water!

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Chia Seeds, Walnuts, Flaxseeds – these are naturally anti-inflammatory

Green Tea - 4 cups of green tea daily with a squirt of lemon juice. Green tea can help reduce joint pain greatly.

Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Some studies suggest it works to ease the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also help with other inflammatory conditions, such as tendinitis. Try to consume a soupspoon of turmeric every day, with a pinch of black pepper and olive oil. You can use it in all your cooking.

Eat 1 cup a day of red or purple fruits, such as berries, cherries, pomegranates, red grapes – or drink 1 cup of juice without added sugar – these food-based antioxidants help ease inflammation and joint disease like arthritis

Sesame Seeds provide plenty of copper, a nutrient essential for joint health – just don’t overdo copper

I've no idea how common it is either, but just to say that I've been suffering severe stiffness and pain in my knees since I was about 42, I'm now 47. Strangely, it seems worse just before my period, so I wonder if it's affected by hormones. I've been taking a rosehip supplement called Litozin for the past couple of years, which has proved effectiveness. Although my symptoms are no worse, nor are they much better. For the moment I'm reassured that it's not getting any worse, since like yourself I was very concerned about what the future held!

Best wishes

Cassy

ETA FWIW I've never been at all overweight. I'm 5' 8" and weigh 130 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been, when not pregnant, was 140 lbs. I've always been fairly active, doing a lot of swimming, cycling, hiking and yoga.

Edited by Cassy

it seems worse just before my period, so I wonder if it's affected by hormones.

Me too. My dh believes it is hormonal-related.

I've been taking a rosehip supplement called Litozin for the past couple of years, which has proved effectiveness.

Interesting. Thank you. I can tell a major difference when I'm good about remembering to take my magnesium supplements. I take more at certain times of the month.

I'm 5' 8" and weigh 130 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been, when not pregnant, was 140 lbs. I've always been fairly active, doing a lot of swimming, cycling, hiking and yoga.

Lucky, lucky you! :) I'm envious. :grouphug: