Menu

Can anyone tell me step by step how to work this math problem

4*(81)^(1/3) = 4*(9*9)^(1/3)

=4*(9^2)^(1/3)

=4*(9)^(2/3)

The main thing is that 81 is 9 squared, and if you have 9 squared raised to the 1/3 power, you multiple the exponents to get 2/3 (2 times (1/3)).

ETA: I would have been tempted to write it as 12*(3)^(1/3) instead!

Edited by 5of5

Do the directions tell you to simplify (as opposed to solve)?

9^(2/3) = cube root of 81 = 81^(1/3)

Whenever you have a fraction as an exponent, the numerator (top) tells you to raise the base (number) to that power. The denominator (bottom) tells you to take the root of the base. So, 9^(2/3) means 9 squared (or 81), then take the cube root of it. You could take the cube root of 9, then square the answer too.

Since the cube root of 81 = 81^(1/3), then 81 factors into (9X9)^(1/3) or 9^(2/3)

What you CAN'T do is take 4 X 9 and get 36, then take 36 ^(2/3) or anything similar to it. Exponents come before multiplication in our order of operations.

Edited to add that completely factored it should be 2X2 x 3^(4/3) or 2x2x3 x 3^(1/3) - hence the question about the directions to start with.

Edited by creekland

A bit of an addition to 5of5's answer, which is correct.

We tend to use ^ for exponentiation on a computer, so x^2 would be x squared.

You need to know that the cube root is the same as the 1/3 power. (This is true because when you take a^(1/3) and cube it, you get a^(3/3) which is 1. Remember when you take a power to a power, you multiply the powers. )

So since 81 is 9^2, the cube root of 81 is (9^2)^(1/3), and multiplying the powers gives 9^(2/3). BTW, I have no idea why they've chosen 9 as the base instead of 3 -- I would have written 3^(4/3) instead, and then simplified it to 3*3^(1/3). But hey.