Menu

Week "Off"?

Tsutsie

There is so many things happening this week, that I might as well not do my usual Sunday night planning/schedule full of hard work for the next few days.

I'm thinking of doing a "fun" week. Still educational - but not described (in detail, as I need things to be) in TWTM.

Any suggestions from you clever people as to what will constitute such a week?

We use MFW so when I take a light week, I usually take a week off of the history/science/etc. Last week we needed to shore up memorizing James 1, so we did light history M, T and then none the rest of the week. This week we'll restart the same week and it'll be another light-ish week since we have already done some of the history. We're taking Tuesday off this week, so it'll be a nice easy 2 weeks.

I was just coming to start a similar thread! :) I need a light week next week so we are only doing the 3 R's. I've decided Math will be only games and incorporating fractions into cooking. We're doing fractions and it will be good for them to get some hands on practice.

I will teach them how to make pancakes one day and biscuits another. The pancakes I'll have them halve and quarter the recipe so that they will be able to make pancakes for themselves and each other for breakfast some days. They both already fry eggs all the time, for themselves and some days for each other as well. The biscuit recipe I'll have them triple, then halve. Half will become cheesy biscuits. Then all the batter that isn't cooked will be frozen for later use. Home economics and Math while feeding them.

For Writing I may have them do 2 lessons from Writing Strands, but may not. I will definitely be taking about 5-10 minutes a day to focus on my son's handwriting issues.

For Reading we will continue our Read Alouds and they always read alone at bedtime.

I'd like to have a few more Math games or Home Ec things that won't be extra unnecessary work, but that'll be that.

Our weeks off mean a break from formal curriculum and workbooks, but not a break from learning (like such a thing is even possible!). We watch videos, read lots from picture books and novels, play games, draw, talk, use apps, bake, go on nature walks, visit friends...you get the idea. And I try to keep one day for a big "all day field trip"--we went to a Natural History Museum on our first 'week off' of the school year. The kids also have lots of downtime to do whatever they want, as do I; something I consider essential for everyone's mental health.