Menu

Do I need to buy a physics kit?

I'm trying to work on budget for next year. My current plan is to do integrated science (physics, chem, bio) for three years. The physics study would break down like this:

Year 1: Force and Motion

Year 2: Conservation Laws, Properties of Matter, Oscillations & Waves

Year 3: Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Modern Physics

Is a kit more important in a certain area of physics?

Is there a decent book on designing your own physics labs?

My dh is a carpenter, we have access to lots of tools. My dad is into electronics, HAM radio gear, so we have access to lots of electronic equipment (although it's mostly older gear).

No. A magnifying glass would be nice. Some balls. Various bottles and jars. A baking pan with water for waves. If you're really motivated, a pulley or lever, or a rocket :D. A flashlight. Let dc rewire a lamp and play with a string of lights.

I'm guessing you already have most of this.

The only thing we don't own is a pulley and a rocket. I did ask dh about the pulley this morning. We might have a rocket stored somewhere, that wouldn't surprise me.

You can find lots of cool stuff for science labs at The Home Depot, Lowe's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Harbor Freight Tools, Radio Shack, Toys R Us, etc. You often don't need kits, but a few choice parts here and there.

I like to look through science supply catalogs and figure out how to make similar equipment much more affordably. It sounds like your husband could do something similar.

For instance, a friend was able to give me a couple of large empty wire spools from his work, which I was able to use to make a force table. I did purchase the clamp-on pulleys for $6 apiece, but saved something like $150.

HTH

I'm trying to work on budget for next year. My current plan is to do integrated science (physics, chem, bio) for three years. The physics study would break down like this:

Year 1: Force and Motion

Year 2: Conservation Laws, Properties of Matter, Oscillations & Waves

Year 3: Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Modern Physics

Is a kit more important in a certain area of physics?

Is there a decent book on designing your own physics labs?

My dh is a carpenter, we have access to lots of tools. My dad is into electronics, HAM radio gear, so we have access to lots of electronic equipment (although it's mostly older gear).

Paula, may I ask what text you are using for physics? What will you do for physics labs? IOW, which labs will you do?

You can find lots of cool stuff for science labs at The Home Depot, Lowe's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Harbor Freight Tools, Radio Shack, Toys R Us, etc. You often don't need kits, but a few choice parts here and there.

I like to look through science supply catalogs and figure out how to make similar equipment much more affordably. It sounds like your husband could do something similar.

For instance, a friend was able to give me a couple of large empty wire spools from his work, which I was able to use to make a force table. I did purchase the clamp-on pulleys for $6 apiece, but saved something like $150.

HTH

And Ace Hardware. They have incredible customer service and will patiently help you find what you need. They have even helped me put some stuff together in the store.

I like your idea of looking through the catalogues then putting the projects together yourself!

And Ace Hardware. They have incredible customer service and will patiently help you find what you need. They have even helped me put some stuff together in the store.

I like your idea of looking through the catalogues then putting the projects together yourself!

The Pitsco catalog is very cool. I might have to request a new one.