Menu

Teaching Textbooks

happycc

I think those who rant against Teaching Textbooks don't have kids with special needs or learning disorders or hate math.

I think that Teaching Textbook is perfect for the kids who you want to just get basic math down. I am all for challenging kids and all but you have to work with what you have. If you have a child that is just not going to get the advanced concepts of math because of language issues Singapore challenging Word problems would not be a good thing. However I suppose you can work towards that level if your child is able to do so.

With one of my child I would just be happy if she can tell the difference between a square and a triangle and she will be 8yrs in two months. Singapore -just wouldnt work. I tried it already anyways.

What do you think?

Honestly.....I think TT gets a bad rap because it "looks" easy. We are using TT this year for the first time. The best part for DD10 is that each lesson is not very long - she was wearing out with the longer Saxon lessons. But TT covers the material and the lectures are good.

The only "weakness" I see in TT is that there is not enough repetition of the topic if the student needs more practice. For DD, it is word problems - she just doesn't "see" how to figure them out without plenty of work. So I pull extra practice problems from her brother's old Saxon book. You can get extra practice online as well.

The TT lectures would have driven my son crazy because he has auditory issues coupled with hearing loss. But the same lesson from the lecture is printed in the text book for kiddos who need to see the material.

My assessment is that TT is just fine.

I think those who rant against Teaching Textbooks don't have kids with special needs or learning disorders or hate math.

:iagree:

It's working great around here for my dd, who needs the problems read aloud to her, needs the repetition, needs the break-down into tiny pieces with step by step explanations.

I don't think it would be challenging enough for ds, but I also doubt dd would be successful with a traditional program.

That's why there are multiple programs available, and why we homeschool, so we can make those choices based on our dc's abilities and learning styles. Curriculum bashing is really unproductive.

Yeah! one 1 Michele said it just right!

I really angsted over using TT, because it felt like I was not worshiping at the rigor altar enough. But, math goes easily for this kid, so why must it be painful to be worthwhile? I struggled over this decision, then bought all the levels, used, when I'd see them at good prices. It works for us.

I saved several of the posts from this and other forums written by homeschoolers who had used TT successfully, and their kids' testing and easy-breezing thru college math proved it. When I second guess myself (its too easy, that Mr. Debate has one subject we don't argue about???) I re-read those to calm down.

He does not always use the computer, some lessons he just wants to read from the text and do the work. SO, tell me what's wrong with this picture? Even I, the worrier, can't find a problem.