Menu

Can someone explain MUS

GreenKitty

I signed up to receive the free demo but it's not working on our computer.

I would like to know what exactly is on the DVD. Being as only 1 dvd comes with the items. Unlike TT which comes with several dvd's. Is it very teacher intensive or can the child do alot of it without the teacher explaining?

Thanks.

I don't know that I've ever seen the demo DVD, but we've used MUS from K to Pre-Algebra. In the beginning, I watched the videos religiously. But, after a year or two, I just read the lesson in the teacher's book and presented the lesson to my son. Everything on the DVD is in the teacher's book. Once in a blue moon, if I am not explaining it well, we will watch the lesson together.

I would not call it teacher intensive. I spend a maximum of 15min at the start of the week reading the teacher's book. I present the lesson to my son, then he practices on his own. He reads me his answers and we go over what ever he missed.

MUS is not designed for the child to do it on their own. It is designed to be used as I use it. The teacher prepares for the lesson and presents it to the child. However, some parents do leave their children to watch the DVD and do the lesson on their own. Some parents watch the DVD with their child.

We do MUS the "lazy" way which works fine for our two DDs who learn math fairly easily. We watch the DVD lesson together on Monday and then do the worksheets through the week. The TM is rarely even opened.

Have you tried the demo DVD in a regular DVD player? It is not interactive like the TT DVDs. It is simply a DVD of Steve Demme presenting the lesson. It does NOT have all the problem solutions on it, like TT does.

Pegasus

I do not find it teacher intensive at all. We have only done Primer, Alpha, and currently we're in Beta. My ds loves loves loves Steve Demme. There just must be something about him he really likes. He calls him Mr. Steve and watches and rewatches the dvd's on his own. (He's an aspie so that may explain the compulsive rewatching of math videos. LOL!) We watch the dvd lesson together, then I go over the lesson with him using the blocks, teachers manual and the first worksheet. Usually by then he's starting to grasp the concept, so the next day he does the next worksheet while I sit with him and help if he needs it. We do one page per day, and a lesson takes us about 1-1.5 weeks to master. We did spend a couple weeks on multiple digit addition with carrying, though, because I wanted to make sure he really got it and wasn't just doing what I told him to do. I love the way it teaches place value using the blocks. It made learning carrying really easy for him to see why. We usually only spend 15-20 minutes daily on math, even when starting a new lesson with the dvd. My ds really needs the short lessons. I imagine the lessons take longer in the higher levels, but I've not seen those yet. We plan on using MUS through all the levels, unless it ever stops working for him.

Oh, I'm really not a math person and have a hard time explaining it so having ds watch the dvds with me is great. I like the way Steve Demme explains things and it helps me to explain it that way to ds.

I guess we do MUS the "lazy" way too! I watch the video with each child, making sure they understand the new concept. They do the worksheets over the week. Hopefully, I check them daily, then when I think they are ready for the test, they take that. Then we move on to the next lesson. Math is very painless around our house.

HTH!