Menu

Hands on science recomendations for High School

My kids do best when they do it.

I was going to use the WTM self study guides and just use the lower level experiment recommendations. We didn't use most the kits because they tend to be hard to do, according to reviews. I figured in High School they would have the fortitude to push through. I find myself doubting this plan, because I have less and less time to coordinate things, and if they do get into a jam it could be a couple of days till I can help them.

Apologia has nice packages and sounds like the experiments are independent. We tried Apologia and it wasn't great. Mostly the tests were a problem because they focus on details and we are big picture people. I was one of the few who always did great on essay questions. Ideologically I really wanted a secular text for high school, and I am concerned about the texts not being updated.

Is there any other package (with labs and supplies) science programs out there that study one topic per year from a secular point of view? I peaked and SOS and LIFEPac but they seem to cover multiple topics for 9th grade.

Heather

Heather,

I'm certainly no expert, since I'm only in the "planning phase" of high school, but the first "all in one" package that came to my mind was Spectrum chemistry. It isn't secular, but I don't think it's overtly religious either. The whole package comes with text, lab manual, and every item for every experiment. That certainly makes it handy for dc; they have everything right there and you don't have to go looking for all kinds of specialty items!

I know Home Science Tools sells whole kits for some Christian publishers. I wonder if some of those could be adapted to secular texts.

Hopefully, some of the experienced folks will chime in. I'll be listening, too.

Jennifer

BTW, I haven't seen you on the boards lately; it's good to have you back!!

I think Kolbe uses secular textbooks for high school and gives you lesson plans, tests, and online support. There is a religious supplement which you could use or not (at least for Biology). It is one of the ones I'm looking at for next year.

Yes, the Kolbe plans for Biology do use a secular textbook, Prentice Hall. We are using this course right now. The Catholic content is in the notes in the lesson plans. The notes frame some topics from a Catholic perspective and direct one to various websites to learn more. There is also a recommended additional book that discusses evolution, but you wouldn't have to use that.

I am liking the course fairly well so far, but this course suggests virtual labs via CD, so if you wanted hands-on, then you'd have to look for a different lab component. I had a bunch of bio lab materials on hand from doing Apologia Bio with my older son, so we are using those for the labs. The text also has quite a number of suggested labs within and at the end of each chapter. We are using a few of those as well.

I like the syllabus for the schedule, the tests & answer key, and the notes (we are Catholic, so we're using them). The syllabus also has separate schedules for a standard course or for an honors course, which includes a few more chapters and covers things in a little more depth.

Kolbe also sells a booklet on lab reports that gives a general format and also several sample reports from actual students. I've found the booklet helpful in guiding my son as he learns to write lab reports. We're not doing lab reports for every lab, but I wanted to introduce the idea so he won't be surprised when he takes a lab course outside the home later and needs to write lab reports.

Best wishes in finding a good fit for your dc,

Brenda

Apologia experiments are all very predictable, so you aren't missing much there. Hands-on can mean so many things, but if you mean more artsy than craftsy you might want to try having them do

-Waldorf style lesson books. If you scroll down, you can see some examples at http://www.emersonwaldorf.org/high-school/curriculum-overview/main-lesson-books/ The child obviously creates these lesson books. I used this approach extensively in high school with my second and fifth children. We didn't use the beeswax crayons as they do in the images because they smear even with the onion skin sheets between, but just regular old colored pencils. In every chapter, in almost any science text, there are at least a few diagrams showing something important that can be copied. Yesterday my dd added the color spectrum and sin waves to her book along with a few critical points.

-Dinah Zike has a foldable science add on for high school "Dinah Zike's Big Book of Science" This would appeal to a child who loved lap books.

I had a difficult time finding projects that were really at the high school level. If you google "critical thinking" along with "high school" and the specific topic, a few worthwhile cooperative learning activities will usually pop up that can be turned into projects.

I've missed you on the SN boards, Siloam. Where've you been hiding? :seeya:

Life just hit high speed and I have having a hard time keeping up with everything hs requires, so I don't have the time for the forums anymore. :001_huh: I sure miss you all.

I also have been jumping through hoops to get ds tested. Our insurance doesn't require a referral (yea) but the place we were told is the best to go to does (ugh). Normally this all goes through the school, so my pediatrician didn't feel comfortable just recommending a full neurology evaluation. He only sees a speech problem. He assumed that the speech therapist would recommend a full neurology eval if needed. So I jump through the hoops to get everything going, wait 4 months for an appointment to get in there and have the gal tell me she doesn't care what the root causes are she treats it all the same. Doesn't recommend a neurology eval but does recommend a social training class and if I want o/t for the handwriting issues. :glare:

He is late in developing social skills because it took so long for other kids to understand him, but now that they do he has been developing the skills. Her biggest concern was that he didn't ask any questions about her. I told him to pick a boy in Sunday school and ask them at least two questions, and he did and made a new friend in the process. I think it will take care of itself, and I can continue to work on both speech and fine motor skills at home, so in the end it was all a wash.

She did say he doesn't behave like kids who she sees who have auditory processing issues. He followed complex oral instructions without a problem. That points me again back to Dyslexia. He can read above grade level (does fine with seeing a letter and recalling the sound), but can't spell CVC words because he still confuses short vowel sounds (he can't hear the sound and recall the letter correctly). With all of our LiPS, SS and Barton work this isn't because he doesn't know the sounds or the letters. We drill them daily by flash cards, and then I give the sounds and he writs the letters in sand. It just gets jumbled up when he has to apply it by both sounding out and recalling the letters. It is getting better, but it is slow going.

On the bright side my 3rd dd, who struggles with the same things in a milder form, finally can spell blends. She used to leave a letter out then read it and realize she got it wrong but did not know hot to fix it. She went through LiPS and works with SS. That helped her figure out how to fix it but she would still write it wrong first each time. With time and practice she is finally able to pull them apart in her mind and write it correctly the first time. She is 5th grade now so it has been a long time coming, but knowing she got them gives me hope for ds. It is just going to be a long road, but at least they are getting there now. I couldn't spell till I started teaching them. :D

Heather

Edited by siloam

WOW, Heather? Your plate is MORE than FULL! :grouphug: Our hearts and prayers are with you! We all LOVE YOU!

Jennifer

Thanks, Jenn that was just what I needed today.:grouphug:

I love the recommendations I am getting. I probably won't use them right away because they are Biology, Chemistry and Physics related, but that is great, because I was more worried about these.

After a talk with dh we decided for the rest of this year and into next a little we will go with a modified original plan. I am going to have all the kids do WP's Rock Around the Earth, then have my oldest also working through the Earth Self Study Guide. After that I will have them do the WP's Sizzle, Solve and Survive while my oldest works through the Environmental Science Self Study Guide. The WP schedule is only 2 days a week, so it is actually a little light and given she is a reader, I don't think the study guides will give her any trouble...except the test portions. I will have her do those open book for now. She needs to learn to better read and pull information out of the text. Right now we are working on these skills in Latin, but it would be great to also be working in other areas.

Then I think we will move into the more "official programs" you all have given me to investigate.

And I love the Emerson Waldorf lesson books, and will have to incorporate that idea, no matter what we are using. Thank you!

Heather