Menu

Back from our trip to Turkey

We just returned from ten days in Turkey, visiting Ankara and the surrounding area of Cappadocia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia#Cappadocians_in_popular_culture. What a spectacular place! Unbelievable rock tombs, ancient churches, underground cities and old villages. Just a really fascinating and incredible place!

And I'm glad to say the kids' Turkish went pretty well, so that was neat. They are slowly getting more verbal in using their Turkish-- which is good!

Also, speaking of gas prices here, in Turkey the petro now costs about $11/gallon. So I guess we can't complain too much here! But of course they have decent bus and metro systems.

Anyway, just wanted to check in, now that I'm getting over the jet lag!

Thank you, Jane! We do love the ancient history that is all over Turkey, and any budding classicist would just love all those archeological and historical places. There is so much to see and do there!

In fact, if any college-age student is interested in archeology, Ancient History, and such, he or she might want to check out Bilkent University, http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/ which is an English-speaking, top-ranked university in Ankara (that was where we stayed). They have a really nice exchange program with a lot of US universities (and European ones), and I think it would be just really neat to spend a year or so there, studying these fascinating topics. Wouldn't that be unusual!

In fact, if any college-age student is interested in archeology, Ancient History, and such, he or she might want to check out Bilkent University...

My 16 year old son is currently claiming that he will be an archaeologist or a medieval historian so I am making note of this. I would love to find a dig that he could participate in before age 18. Anne, you always seem to have your finger on the pulse of everything, so think of us if you encounter something like this, please.

Jane

Fabulous! We lived in Ankara for three years -- 1999-2001. I absolutely loved it, love Turkey, and would LOVE to get back there. It was truly some of the best years of my life, living there. And the history... oh, the history!!

I'm so jealous! :) I'll bet it was just wonderful!

My 16 year old son is currently claiming that he will be an archaeologist or a medieval historian so I am making note of this. I would love to find a dig that he could participate in before age 18. Anne, you always seem to have your finger on the pulse of everything, so think of us if you encounter something like this, please.

Jane

Will do, Jane! There is a possibility that we (our family) might develop a relationship with Bilkent University, so let's investigate what possibilities might open up there. I understand that their archeology department is top-ranked, and certainly these places seem to be open to students from the US. I wonder if they have anything on the high-school level... let's check it out! My ds age almost-14 is also interested in this kind of work.

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~arkeo/.

They have ongoing digs in a lot of places in the nearby areas. Last time we visited there, we saw the Gordion site, where Alexander rode through (and apparently the tomb of King Midas was discovered). Many interesting artifacts are now on display in the archeology museum there.

Fabulous! We lived in Ankara for three years -- 1999-2001. I absolutely loved it, love Turkey, and would LOVE to get back there. It was truly some of the best years of my life, living there. And the history... oh, the history!!

I'm so jealous! :) I'll bet it was just wonderful!

Really! I guess your dh was with the military, or the embassy? Very interesting indeed. It is a remarkable place, that's for sure!