Menu

Best Word Roots Book?

shukriyya

I'd like to use a 'word root' study for my natural speller combined with dictation. There are several 'root word' books that look interesting and I can't quite decide on which one. English from Roots Up is the only one I've heard of and I am drawn to this but these others look good too...

Word Roots and Word Roots A-1

Red Hot Root Words

Vocabulary Packets : Prefixes and Suffixes

[/url]The Learning Works

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? It's so difficult to choose something based on an online view of a few pages.

TIA

How old is your child? Critical Thinking Word Roots appears to be for gr 5 and above. The other three books you listed can be used from gr 2 onwards.

You can see the entire Vocabulary Packets : Prefixes and Suffixes book at Scholastic's store. It looks boring, because each unit teaches the same 12 words over 4-5 pages (i.e. 3 words per prefix or suffix). Also, the games are more suitable for a classroom. If you are sure you can extend the knowledge of those prefixes and suffixes to more words during your read-alouds or teaching sessions, then it is an inexpensive option (I used the coupon code 10THANKS).

Also, with the Scholastic Prefixes and Suffixes book, you will need the Vocabulary Packets : Greek and Latin Roots book.

The Learning Works: Greek and Latin Roots is also meant to be used after The Learning Works: Prefixes and Suffixes. These two books have the following format:

page 1: introduce 10 words for the root

page 2: match word with meaning (you have to print and cut out the cards on this page)

page 3: I have...Who has cards (you have to print and cut out the cards on this page too)

page 4: quiz (bubble test for the meaning of each word)

I'd say the Learning Works books are more suitable for a homeschool than the Scholastic books are.

Based on samples of Red Hot Root Words on Amazon, I'd say it looks much more fun. Get the book 2 only - book 1 has the same roots as book 2 but at a more basic level.

Have you seen Words On the Vine? It seems to be the most humourous and interesting of all word root books I have seen and it is the most inexpensive too. I would suggest this for a start.

Thanks so much for responding. Your input was helpful. I don't think the Scholastic books are what I'm looking for.

I did look at Words on the Vine but it got some peculiar reviews that steered me away from it. I'll take another look though.

Rainbow Resource has a good vocab-root words section and I've found several books on there that look promising. It also occurred to me to try Cesar's English.

Again, thanks for your help.

I have Red Hot Root Words and Rockin' Root Words. Red Hot is good - lessons and short and sweet with words that children use/hear in everyday language. Open and go.

Rockin' Root Words divides out the workbook by themes, i.e., numbers, quantifiers and size, time, etc. Words are more abstract, but still great content.