Menu

Suggestions for good dog boards... (more...)

I need some suggestions for good dog message boards where I can discuss agility, 4H, showmanship and Jr Handling. My Dd is interested in Jr Handling at AKC shows. I don't know if she should do it. We cannot devote every weekend to dog shows. My idea is that she can take handling classes for now and watch other handlers at shows when we are able. When I feel she is ready, then she can do some shows when it fits our schedule.

Trouble is the breeders in our area are pressuring me into allowing them to show Dd's puppy so he can get his championship. I want him neutered b/c of the other 2 male dogs we have at home. I do not want any doggy arguments going on. They are also telling me she stands little chance of success unless she shows a finished champoin --- the implication is that she can use one of the champions if we let them show our puppy. So far it is only implied.

Many of the local kennel club members are also scaring all the 4H kids who are interested by basically telling them they will have to give up all their free time to Jr Handling. Many of these kids (mine included) have other interests and hobbies. Besides dog club, my kids are in a 4H horse club and do a few shows. We also like to do things together as a family on weekends.

I'm rambling....just trying to figure out if it's possible for a kid to participate in AKC Juniors without devoting their life to it.

Anyone have suggestions or message boards I can ask about this issue?

Shannon

Hi there,

Short answer: your child does not have to have a finished champion to be successful in the AKC Juniors ring. My dd is living proof. She showed her dog to her championship (and then her CD obedience title, and then her Grand Championship) completely on her own, while also showing in Jrs and being an active 4-H member, playing on a softball team, skiing, and her major love which is oboe/band.

I have a couple of questions: How old is your dd? Where do you live?

Do you have UKC shows local to you? http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/Home

PM me---- my dd would be happy to correspond with your dd, and I"d be happy to do the same. astridrobi AT gmail DOT com

astrid

Hi there,

Short answer: your child does not have to have a finished champion to be successful in the AKC Juniors ring. My dd is living proof. She showed her dog to her championship (and then her CD obedience title, and then her Grand Championship) completely on her own, while also showing in Jrs and being an active 4-H member, playing on a softball team, skiing, and her major love which is oboe/band.

I have a couple of questions: How old is your dd? Where do you live?

Do you have UKC shows local to you? http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/Home

PM me---- my dd would be happy to correspond with your dd, and I"d be happy to do the same. astridrobi AT gmail DOT com

astrid

Thanks, Astrid. I'll pm tomorrow.