Menu

How important is biology in 8th grade?

What I mean is, how important is it to have an actual grade for Biology in 8th grade? Ds took Apologia Biology last year. He only finished at the end of the summer. I had not graded the last two tests because of getting this year started and sat down to do it. The last two tests are missing. He even looked on the computer to print them out again for me but he can't find them. Do I need to make him take these chapter tests again? I think we'll probably do an AP version of Biology some time during high school but I"m not positive.

It's not at all important. Schools will want to see Biology taken in high school. Your plans of AP down the road will be more than sufficient. ;)

However, if those plans changed and he didn't do a high school Biology course (need not be AP), then you'd need to look carefully at the college(s) he's considering and see if they specifically want to see Bio on there as one of the 4 (or sometimes 3) sciences they want to see. IF (and that's a big if on purpose) they are ok with him having had Bio in 8th grade (many upper level schools are not in our experience, BUT they have been ok with my science-bound middle son having done World History in 8th - with 3 more Social Studies credits in high school), then they still won't care if he didn't do the last two tests or if you don't have them recorded. Just give him a grade based upon what you do have. We've never had a college ask for specific tests (or grades on them) for any course.