Menu

High School History to supplement CC, maybe videobased?

Dd14 is in Challenge A this year and, although we love it, I don't like leaving out history as a subject. I know they'll cover it in context with literature, but I still want to cover this area more systematically. From jumping around the past few years, she has holes in history anyway that I want to fill in during high school.

She has am pretty heavy load between Challenge A, Apologia Bio through Red Wagon Tutorials, and trying to get up to speed with grammar to help with Latin this year. I don't want to add another heavy subject, but I would like to supplement with a more passive, enjoyable history. I know I can add in documentaries and movies, but wondering if anything is out there already laid out, possibly using videos/computer? I also thought maybe I could add in Teaching Company videos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Lisa

I would like like to go through a four year cycle for High School, so this year we would cover ancients.

thanks!!

Lisa

For Ancients, we have used the following TC lectures:

the Iliad (12 lectures), the Odyssey (12), the Aeneid (12)

Greek Tragedy (24), Classical Mythology(24)

all by Elizabeth Vandiver. I highly recommend them, they are fantastic.

She also has course about Herodotus which I am not familiar with.

For Medieval, we have used

Early Middle Ages (24), High Middle Ages (24), Late Middle Ages (24)

by Philip Daileader. We enjoyed them very much.

For Renaissance, we started using on video (and, after a few lectures, exchanged for audio and will resume using this)

Kenneth Bartlett The Italian Renaissance

I found the video very boring and hope the audio works better for us; the content of the first few lectures sounded very interesting

If you want to cover Ancients, I'd use Mystery of History as an inexpensive and painless supplement to Challenge A. We really enjoyed the integration of Biblical history with secular history. You can just read the chapters (about 1 page x 3 per week) and add worksheets or hands-on activities as time allows.

If you want audio, Diana Waring's History CD's are excellent. Her enthusiasm is contagious.

Do you have other children in CC Foundations? How about memorizing the timeline cards, reading the backs of a few each week and filling in with Kingfisher World History (you might even outline a la WTM).

If you want to cover Ancients, I'd use Mystery of History as an inexpensive and painless supplement to Challenge A. We really enjoyed the integration of Biblical history with secular history. You can just read the chapters (about 1 page x 3 per week) and add worksheets or hands-on activities as time allows.

If you want audio, Diana Waring's History CD's are excellent. Her enthusiasm is contagious.

Do you have other children in CC Foundations? How about memorizing the timeline cards, reading the backs of a few each week and filling in with Kingfisher World History (you might even outline a la WTM).

Such a great idea! I was thinking of having her memorize along with her younger sisters. Using the history cards or sentences and fleshing them out further sounds like a great idea.

Tx

Lisa