Menu

How to prepare for a career as an editor?

My dd15 wants to be a book editor. Poor writing drives her crazy and she is on a mission to stamp it out. :D She is also a slow but incredibly gifted creative writer, and I fully expect to see her novels in major bookstores some day.

I have not had much luck finding information about college majors, etc for future editors. I'm thinking something along the lines of English or Creative Writing. Dd was surprised to find out that some colleges offer a Creative Writing major and she seems interested in that.

Any suggestions or guidance from the hive?

Check out some of the writing mags- do an Amazon search or go to B & N- there are several. Most have a zillion ads for BFA's and MFA's and there have been articles about what to look for in an MFA program. That would be a place to start.

If she wants to be an editor she'll need exceptional grammar and lit analysis skills.

To develop her creative writing I would recommend her reading and writing voraciously. Learning a second language thoroughly would be great. Having a thorough understanding of Poetry, being exposed to a multitude of genres and writing styles, becoming part of a writer's group or book club,etc. (I have tons of ideas on this one;))

I used to work for a publishing company. All of the editors I worked with had English degrees. Some had an MA, some just a BA.

I was a graphic artist, not an editor, so I don't have any real advice.

An English degree makes sense. I just wasn't sure since I was a business major. Thanks!

Check out some of the writing mags- do an Amazon search or go to B & N- there are several. Most have a zillion ads for BFA's and MFA's and there have been articles about what to look for in an MFA program. That would be a place to start.

If she wants to be an editor she'll need exceptional grammar and lit analysis skills.

To develop her creative writing I would recommend her reading and writing voraciously. Learning a second language thoroughly would be great. Having a thorough understanding of Poetry, being exposed to a multitude of genres and writing styles, becoming part of a writer's group or book club,etc. (I have tons of ideas on this one;))

Ooh, I will have to check out some writing magazines to get her for Christmas. She does have good grammar skills and she talks about how much poor grammar annoys her. She reads constantly. She has done a writing workshop with Bryan Davis and she'll be doing one next week with another local writer whose name escapes me. Looking for a high-quality book club is a good idea. Thanks for posting!

My dh and I worked for scientific and technical publishers. There were as many English majors as there were science majors. The best advice I can offer is for her to hone her writing skills, not only in creative writing but in factual expository/explanatory stuff. Some of the WordSmith competition tasks were in that direction...I found them to be quite worthwhile. You could have her write out recipes or instructions for doing things that you don't know how to do on the computer. You also could have her "edit" things that she reads; e.g. texts, directions.

Full Sail University in Florida has an awesome Creative Writing degree, they say it is one of the best out there, although it is a little far from NC. But definitely look into a good English program that goes to Master's, they usually have better job placement than Bachelor's do.

My dh and I worked for scientific and technical publishers. There were as many English majors as there were science majors. The best advice I can offer is for her to hone her writing skills, not only in creative writing but in factual expository/explanatory stuff. Some of the WordSmith competition tasks were in that direction...I found them to be quite worthwhile. You could have her write out recipes or instructions for doing things that you don't know how to do on the computer. You also could have her "edit" things that she reads; e.g. texts, directions.

Thanks for the ideas!

Full Sail University in Florida has an awesome Creative Writing degree, they say it is one of the best out there, although it is a little far from NC. But definitely look into a good English program that goes to Master's, they usually have better job placement than Bachelor's do.

Thanks for the information. I've never heard of Full Sail U, but we will check it out. UNC-Chapel Hill has a good English program and is closer to home. :001_smile:

I was an English major, with an emphasis in editing. She will need to get at least one editing internship during her college years. I highly recommend having her really learn grammar now. I struggled with my college-level grammar classes, simply because my prior schooling never prepared me.

I agree with Lizzy Bee; there are more technical editing jobs out there than there are regular editing jobs. A minor in computers or science has the ability to help her land other editing jobs. It really depends on her interests. I minored in communications; my orginal major was in Advertising, but I switched my major and minor.

I was an English major, with an emphasis in editing. She will need to get at least one editing internship during her college years. I highly recommend having her really learn grammar now. I struggled with my college-level grammar classes, simply because my prior schooling never prepared me.

I agree with Lizzy Bee; there are more technical editing jobs out there than there are regular editing jobs. A minor in computers or science has the ability to help her land other editing jobs. It really depends on her interests. I minored in communications; my orginal major was in Advertising, but I switched my major and minor.

Thanks for the information!