Menu

Handwriting Speed for Teen

My 16 yo is frustrated with his handwriting speed. You'd think I'd have all the answers to this because his older brother was diagnosed with dysgraphia and did a year of physical therapy 7 years ago. But I'm seeking advice as to this particular problem. I tried to teach cursive to this son but after three years he rejected it. He prints neatly so I let him go back to that. However, he is really frustrated with how slowly he writes. He's in several classes where he's got to take notes, answer essay questions on timed tests, etc. He wants to learn Italic. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a good Italic program for older students.

Thanks!

Have you experimented with different writing utensils? I find that the fastest and neatest cursive is achieved with a good fountain pen, because the pen glides on the ink, and the writing does not cause cramps in the hand. If using pencil, the writing is fastest with good and very sharp pencils and writing small on blank (not lined) paper.

I write much faster in cursive than in print. If your son is serious about wanting to speed up, I suggest he should simply revisit cursive and master it, but with an ink pen, not a cheap ball point or machine sharpened pencil.

Thanks all! I just bought Write Now. I figure I'll give it to my son and let him work through it. I think speed will be up to him and his willingness to practice. I'll ask him if he wants me to nag him to practice :)

My oldest dd didn't like cursive either, but once she got to college, she realized how much faster she could write and so she worked on it herself her freshman year. She now has beautiful cursive writing and is proud of her quick notetaking ability. She showed me her notebooks. Her friends like to borrow her notes because she takes such care with them. So if the Italics doesn't work for him maybe he'll take after his sister.

Anyway, thanks again!