Menu

Spelling question (spelling power related)

LAmom

Do most spelling programs cover phonics review and spelling rules? Spelling Power is just a list? With a quick rule before each test? Is that sufficient or do people find they need more. My dd is a natural speller and is doing well on the tests but fear that this is not enough.

Edited by LAmom

it seems to be that way. I am using AAS with two kids and Spelling POwer with another who is a strong speller. I am not impressed with the Spelling Power teaching spelling rules-maybe I am missing something. It does seem like just a list. Nonetheless it is not as teacher intensive and is easy to implement and my daughter likes it. Whenever I cover something in AAS with the other ones that she doesnt know I have the kids teach it to her. So she is getting both.

I would use something that teaches the spelling rules first and then use spelling power to have the vast variety of words and the extra practice.

I feel like I am missing something, too. I want her to learn rules. Maybe that is not necessary? I am a natural speller and don't really know rules. :001_smile: Maybe I will look into Rod and Staff to supplement a little. ???

I guess you can teach the rules I suppose. The word groups are kind of mixed up like all the ways to make the long a sound in one group. I don;t like that at all.

I may look into Phonetic Zoo for the other kids once they get through most of the aas levels.

I think if it is working for your daughter, keep with it.

Some kids pick up the rules almost by osmosis, others need signposts (ala Spelling Power), others need the rules spelled out for them (sorry for the pun). That's true for a lit of things.

To be honest, I found learning the rules as a kid to be worthless. I just didn't know when to apply what, or remember them, or the "exceptions". Just was distracting noise to me. I guess you would call me a "natural speller". For me, like some kids (not all), "rules" are just artificial garbage that get in the way of learning. As an adult, I enjoy learning the rules since I now have enough experience to understand where they came from, etc. As a kid they were, well, irrelevant.

So maybe for some you need the experience before you are ready for the "help" of rules. Same with the idea of exploring to learn with science and math. Actually, when I think about it, almost anything complicated we learn, we learn by doing first, then learning the minutia of rules. hmmmm....

Guest jolanthe

We've been using All About Spelling for the last 3 years with our kids and I am SO thankful that I found the program. It is based on the OG method and walks kids through the rules of WHY things are spelled certain rules {and I have to admit I've learned quite a few things!!}.

I love that we're not just learning lists but learning how to apply the rules to the things that we are trying to spell. The program has made it an enjoyable subject for ALL of us. I love that the lessons are all laid out for me and ready to go, so no planning on my part either. :)