Menu

Science

happy-hs

My 3rd and 4th graders are using Elemental Science, Biology for the Logic Stage this year. It's fun and we enjoy the reading and the experiments. I still feel like we're missing something in science though...

I guess I am looking to get a little more hands-on and fun with science. At the same time, I'd like to keep our supplies (needed for projects/experiments) relatively simple. I don't want to be running all over looking for some odd, hard-to-find item, if I can help it.

Just to give me a few more ideas...

What do you use/do for science? And why?

I have looked at RSO, RS4K, NOEO, etc... so I'd really appreciate more detailed, personalized responses rather than book recommendations alone.

Favorite blogs or websites with science ideas would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Melissa :)

I'm in the middle of searching right now, too. Over at my blog, I am having a good discussion about it, I've had some good suggestions.

I'm leaning towards the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey by pandia press because another mom wrote about it, before that, I was leaning towards Science4 kids.

I'm a worksheet girl, I liked the worksheets over at Pandia for following up on the lesson :001_smile:

my blog is in my signature, the comment section has the suggestions from other homeschoolers.

I had intended to use ES with my 5th grader, but I was feeling pulled towards doing something with botany. We ended up doing Exploring Creation with Botany. Well, anyway, I did buy ES and had planned to take some of the topics a bit further. DH and I both have degrees in biology areas and so some of the topics would have been a hit around here. We would have dug deeper and found more to read and more experiments. I would have done this by searching online for free resources, using our books from college, and the library. Perhaps just digging deeper or expanding on areas of interest would fill what is missing. I am still looking forward to using this program when my youngest is in 5th or 6th grade.