Menu

Webster spelling method and HTTS workbooks

dmrranch

I recently heard about How To Teach Spelling workbooks put out by EPS here and after checking out the samples I'm wondering how similar this is to Webster method. Elizabeth...it looks like they include nonsense words:001_smile:

Just wondered if this might help those learning to use Webster or McGuffey speller for spelling to have a workbook for extra practice. (Or, if they prefer workbooks.)

I haven't seen the whole book...only a sample.

It's different. Webster's doesn't give the O-G based rules like HTTS does. It goes more by pattern. Webster's also works on the syllabary. HTTS teaches syllabication, but not the same way.

HTTS is closer to AAS in style, though it goes in a different order for the phonograms and doesn't teach all the "strategies" as AAS does.

Basically, with Webster's, I think you need to be knowledgeable of the rules yourself, since it's a very old book from before the time of O-G. ;) I use Webster's with my middle son for reading, and I really like it. I haven't tried using it for reading. I'm using Wheeler's Elementary Speller with my oldest, but I have HTTS also. I would be using that with him, but I have the wrong workbook. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I know this sounds funny, but I wasn't going to use it myself. I am trying to be disciplined and use what I have:001_smile:

However, I love to research and had seen where others had asked questions about SWR, Websters,etc and workbooks which is how I found HTTS. I thought it looked pretty neat but couldn't tell what workbook to start with if you were beginning with an older child. Thought if I posted this it might help others who are trying to find a way to use Webster's or McGuffey and that want a workbook to go along with what they are doing.

I have the Original set with Beechicks guide, ABC and All Their Tricks, and Phonics Made Plain cards. I also have SWR and was trying to decide if I was going to take the plunge with McGuffey with my 4 year old or not. Then, I also have an 11 dd that will use one or the other...or both:D as needed.

For myself, I'm leaning towards the McGuffey "set" but will keep my eye on SWR and continue to read it. I also have the Classic Curriculum workbooks, or at least some of them, so I will probably use one from Series 4 for my 11dd who loves wb to review.

But, for now, the 4ds will learn his a-z phonograms slowly with the flashcards and doing whatever writing he wants to do. He actually loves to write and wanted me to show him how to make an "A". I did and he can actually write it:tongue_smilie:. So, here we go. He'll be the first one for me to get to teach from the very beginning:001_smile:

I've really liked Webster's for my 4 year old. He learned open and closed syllables very easily, so I think when we add silent e, it probably won't be a big deal. He already knows the vowels say different sounds. The syllabary is amazing for learning to read. :)

That in encouraging! Actually, I had a little girl that I was helping with phonics and I was using the method of teaching all of the sounds using the Phonics Made Plain cards. They teach all the sounds at once just like Spalding. The difference is you don't mark the words. I also have the SWR cards and set because I was learning it to see if I should use it instead of what I have. Plus, I had heard so much about it and was feeling insecure about remediating someone else's child in phonics. I ended up using Elizabeth B's online lessons and moved into my McGuffey etc with her.

Anyway, my ds had just turned four and was so interested. So, he sat there with us and learned the sounds of a and m and then would run around seeing A's and M's everywhere. Then, he wanted to learn more. Then, he wanted to learn to write his "A". So, I showed him and he did it. So, this child will be able to write the letters as he says them. The funny thing is, he only wants to write the capital letters. He argues with me about whether or not "a" is A also. So, I am going to pull out my Phonics Made Plain cards where he will see both the A and a on the card. I am thinking I should try to have him writing his lower case letters instead of the capital. That is what I believe SWR advocates. When he sees A or a on anything he says, "Hey look there's an a, ay, ah!" So, I guess he isn't confused.

My plans are to teach him some more consonants and then we'll be ready for the syllabary. Ruth Beechick says teach a few consonants with the "a" and then show them a few words using those letters and then teach some more vowels and consonants, etc. SWR says teach all the phonograms. I think I will teach all of the a-z and then start the syllabary. What do you think? I've done so much research everything is rolling around in my head. But, I believe that is actually what they did in Webster's time. When they said to teach them the alphabet, I think they meant with the sounds as well. Then, they started the syllabary.

As far as the Classic Curriculum Workbooks (CCW) go I believe if you use this method, you will end up skipping the first few unless you have a child wanting to write like my ds. But, I haven't had a chance to sit down and study all of them.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, CCW Writing Series 4 actually matches up with Harvey's and works great together.

Anyway,

I think I will teach all of the a-z and then start the syllabary. What do you think? I've done so much research everything is rolling around in my head. But, I believe that is actually what they did in Webster's time. When they said to teach them the alphabet, I think they meant with the sounds as well. Then, they started the syllabary.

:iagree:

Some of the earlier Webster's Spellers have numbers for each sound of each letter, I believe it is quite possible they did teach this.

I also have the phonics made plain cards. (And, I met the author, Michael Brunner, last time I was in Idaho.)

It sounds like a great plan!

I have only quickly glanced through HTTS at a convention. It looks good and people who have phonics and spelling views that I agree with seem to like it.

I didn't realize it had nonsense words.

Elizabeth,

I believe I am right about the nonsense words. I was quickly looking through samples of workbooks on cbd.

So, having my ds4 see "Aa" on the Phonics Made Plain cards is fine? Then, if he insists on writing "a, ay, ah" as a capital A instead of lowercase a would that cause any potential problems?

Thank you!

So, having my ds4 see "Aa" on the Phonics Made Plain cards is fine? Then, if he insists on writing "a, ay, ah" as a capital A instead of lowercase a would that cause any potential problems?

Thank you!

That's fine, it shouldn't cause problems. In fact, I work with all uppercase for the first year, but my son does know both and does fine with either. Eventually they need to know both. I prefer to start with uppercase to minimize B/D problems and most phonics programs start with lowercase, but eventually both need to be learned.

Yes, HTTS definitely uses nonsense words. :)

That's great! I'm pretty sure I like it--as much as I can like anything I don't own!! (I try to only recommend things I have owned and used, some weaknesses do not become apparent until you own and use something.)