Menu

Organizing a science binder

joysworld

I'm trying to figure out how to organize our science binder. I have a geography binder, and in it there are seven tabs for the seven continents, and then a tab for oceans. I have a binder for our history. There are no tabs, but everything is put in chronological order. These are binders that will add to for the next several years. Ds is in first, and I plan on keeping them until maybe third or fourth grade.

For science, I'm using BFSU as a guide, although I haven't started it yet. And then we are also using some of the dk and kingfisher encyclopedias as well as real books.

When we do an experiment, he will draw a picture of it as well as write an hypothesis. Other times he will draw a picture about what we are learning, and narrate while I write it down. Any ideas on how I could organize it? What I would I label the tabs as?

We settled with the WTM suggestions of the four major categories - Life science, etc. The big exception of course is we are using a larger binder and studying all of them so have all of them in there instead of one per year. We are also using BFSU and just file them under the appropriate heading, which are pretty much similar to the WTM sort of divisions.

I agree with the BFSU threads. That would be your best bet. I like printing out "Observation Reports". I'm working on making a newer one now and if I get it done soon I'll put a link to it. I figure I can have my dds fill one out after each lesson or just whenever they observe something worth noting.