Menu

Guest Hollow American History Question?

Murrayshire

Has anyone used this? I'm thinking about using her curriculum next school year for my 4th grader but wasn't sure how much of a pain it would be to gather ALL those great books! I'm also leaning towards SL core 3 but would have to find it used......

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Using it for 2nd grade here and really enjoying it. We have a pretty good library system so I'm not having too hard a time finding the books and I try to check out a few weeks ahead of time. I spent about $50 on the suggested activity books and a few other books, and that is all I anticipate spending for GH this year. Yes, we are having a hard time getting in all the suggested books--we would have to give up our bedtime lit reading or read more at mealtimes to get all the reading done per topic in 1 week, so we usually skip one of the books per topic. I've also dropped one or two of the projects. We are doing CC and dd is in another co-op so there is just not time.

Also, I am not using Story of the USA, but opted for Light and Glory as our "text." I really, really like GH, though. It is the right mix of hands-on, lots of reading and already-all-planned-out for me that it is a good fit for us.

Using it for 2nd grade here and really enjoying it. We have a pretty good library system so I'm not having too hard a time finding the books and I try to check out a few weeks ahead of time. I spent about $50 on the suggested activity books and a few other books, and that is all I anticipate spending for GH this year. Yes, we are having a hard time getting in all the suggested books--we would have to give up our bedtime lit reading or read more at mealtimes to get all the reading done per topic in 1 week, so we usually skip one of the books per topic. I've also dropped one or two of the projects. We are doing CC and dd is in another co-op so there is just not time.

Also, I am not using Story of the USA, but opted for Light and Glory as our "text." I really, really like GH, though. It is the right mix of hands-on, lots of reading and already-all-planned-out for me that it is a good fit for us.

Wow! $50? That's wonderful......I suppose I could check my library for the books on her book list.....There were alot....

This price is much easier on the pocket than Sonlight.....Is it as meaty as SL though? Did your child seem to have obtained alot of knowledge from the curriculum? My ds6 will be listening in with dd9 as well....most likely my 7th grader will listen too(along with her SL core 6)....she adores American studies! Thank you all for your replies!

Anyone else have any experience with Guest Hollow that they wouldn't mind sharing?! :001_smile:

So far we love Guesthollow's American history year one. We have done 8 weeks and the kids are learning alot and look forward to history class. I spent about $200.00, but I didn't have to spend so much. If I had done more legwork and borrowed more books from the library I could have spent much less.

I love the way GH gives a structure of topics that lets you freely substitute books and add or remove parts as you choose--that makes it pretty easy to find something at the library even if they don't have the exact title GH recommends. I did eliminate some things--we only do 3 days of history a week and GH schedules 5 days a week--but I'd rather remove some activities and books than have to fill in a too-scanty curricula.It is very flexible, lots of fun, and I plan to continue on with year 2 next year.

Yep, we used it year before last and loved it! She will tell you if you can't find the exact book not to stress just use what you have. We actually used the library and internet and spent no money except for materials and supplies for the crafts and notebooks. Loved it! I can't wait to start her Ancient History!!! (If I ever get there)