Menu

Cursive First vs. Peterson Directed Handwriting

eloquacious

I want to start my munchkin off with cursive, as he's already had an eye surgery and I'm concerned about eye tracking. In general, I think there is strong support for teaching cursive first, but I'm torn about which method to use. I own Cursive First (based on a circle/clock face as Spalding/SWR are), and I have the free "preview" download of the Peterson Directed Handwriting Method.

My question is this: the PDH method seems like it has a straight path to a nice adult cursive, esp. given that the school he will likely attend at some point uses Palmer Method, whose shapes are very similar to PDH.

The Cursive First font, while okay for elementary, seems childish to me. That being said, I wonder if it's easier to do at first? Is the circle easier to understand than a few basic strokes? Moreover, the same school I mentioned teaches Riggs/Spalding printing in first and second grade, based on that saem clockface technique, then transition to Palmer - which would seem to imply that it's possible.

Has anyone got experience with one or either that would like to chime in?

I have several levels of Peterson directed. It's a bit confusing to follow but I really do like it. I worked through some of it and improved my own handwriting. I also think the way kids are supposed to finger trace and write in the air is brilliant.

But it's become more of a reference program then a daily use one. My son worked through the alphabet and now practices with copywork off my own handwriting (which we all liked better :D). It just feels a little fussy. That was fine when our workload was lighter but now that we're knuckling down it's hard to fit in. A little quibble is that it comes with a nifty reference meant for the student to achieve a proper paper angle but it's a sticker. Good if you have a desk but I'm not sticking it to my dining room table.

I do recommend it. You'll have to take a bit of time to go over it and find a comfortable way to apply it. If you have a lot of your plate it might be a tad too fussy though.

Edited by WishboneDawn
Subject/verb agreement is a GOOD thing.

I have experience with both. I would pick PDH.

PDH addresses muscle memory in a better way imho. Those strokes are ingrained, made 2nd nature, and writing is more fluid/natural. It's much like what my grandmother learned as a girl, and her handwriting is so beautiful and legible.

CF is fine. PDH would label it as "drawing" letters rather than writing. I started with CF, so I still use a lot of the terminology. I do like the method...it worked pretty well for my oldest...but the reproducibles are low quality. I prefer to use Startwrite to generate practice pages.

All that said, what I actually *do* with my own is somewhere in the middle...but if I had a time machine for the sole purpose of going back and choosing ONE handwriting curric (:tongue_smilie:), I'd pick PDH.