Menu

Determining Saxon Alg/Geom grades for transcript

I'm trying to decide how to determine the final grades to place on the transcript for Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. Supposedly by the time ds finishes Saxon Alg I and II, he will also have completed a semester's worth of geometry.

A) Can anyone verify the above?

B) Recommendations on how to tease out the geometry grade from the algebra grade?

We used those same books and we are now doing Advanced math and after the first 60 lessons he will have completed the geometry and have a full credit for it. At least that is how I understand the program to work. Then I will have Alg. 1 Alg. 2 and Geometry credits on his transcript. I hope I have that right.

Thanks for the responses.

We did Saxon Alg I last year. Ds took the tests as prescribed. I used the average of the scores from tests 1 - 15 for his first semester grade and the average of the scores from tests 16 - 30 for his second semester grade. And then I got to thinking, "What about the geometry portion? If I'm going to put geometry on the transcript, I'm going to need a grade to go with it." So I went back through all the tests and counted up how many of all of the geometry problems he got right and used that percentage as a grade for those geometry topics. And it all was pretty easy b/c he missed very few anyway.

Fast forward to this year . . . I thought it would be better to track his grades as we go instead of waiting until the end. But that's very messy. (Only 5 geometry problems makes them 20 pts each; and then another test will have 8 or 12 geometry problems, and so on.) Hence my question about teasing out the grades.

So it would be workable to give him a geometry final and use that as the grade. In a sense, he is taking two math classes at the same time, Alg II and geometry - is that how you look at it?

Additional thoughts, anyone?

So it would be workable to give him a geometry final and use that as the grade. In a sense, he is taking two math classes at the same time, Alg II and geometry - is that how you look at it?

Yes. I give my kids a comprehensive semester final for each of their math courses and base the grade entirely on that. After all, we aim at long-term mastery and not just retention to the next chapter test, so I don't give grades for all the little stuff.

Whether he takes geometry mixed in with algebra 2 or as a separate course does not matter IMO - just as long as he has covered all the material of a traditional year long geometry class.