Menu

What to buy when switching to Singapore Math??

katnorman

I'm wanting to switch to Singapore math 1A/1B but I'm confused at what all I need :confused: I want the standards edition, so do I get the text, workbook and teacher's guide for both levels, plus the tests?? And add the CWP and extra practice if I want it? It really seems like alot of books :001_huh: And do I need anything else? Thanks

You don't need the tests. As suggested, you could use reviews as tests. I have the text, workbook, IP, CPW, I have the HIG but just use it to speed up grading. Some people do the CPW and IP a level below where they are working. Do you know your child's math abilities at all? Did you give the placement test? If you just start with the text, hig, and workbook; you can use the first few weeks to judge whether you need, IP or EP and CPW on level or behind (in this case, you don't need it until next year.)

I also got a really good deal off of eBay this year. I purchased all new books for a great price.

I just bought SM 1A Standards and I only bought the text, the workbook and the HIG. BUT! My student is only 5 (and a young 5 at that!). I bought it mostly for the HIG and to reference while working through Miquon. Because my student is so young, I am currently planning to start CWP and IP when we get to 1B (whenever that may be...).

If I were buying Singapore Standards today, I'd get the HIG, textbook, workbook, IP, and CWP. If the child struggles with math, I'd replace the IP with EP. I think a lot of people use the reviews as tests? Not sure on that.

These are the books we purchased. The HIG schedules the workbook 2 or 3 times a week. We do the IP on the other days (of our 4-day week). CWP wasn't fitting in so well and was a bit too much if we took it in big chunks, but DS is not quite 6 yet. Others have mentioned before using CWP as daily challenge problems and we're going to try that. I think it sounds like a great way to work them in!