Menu

Can you explain to me how MFW English works in AHL?

Is grammar supplementation needed? For most students, no. The amounts included are enough. There will always be cases where a student in 9th grade needs more because they haven't covered it in jr. high. But for most students, the "review in the content of writing" is plenty -- especially at the end of the year when last several weeks units are devoted to grammar topics.

I thought it was fine for full English credit. It is not just "notgrass english". ;)

MFW's ahl English credit met my umbrella school's requirement.

There is the literature analysis component with the MFW adaption of SMARR guides.

strong composition in my point of view....Varied types of writing. About 5 argumentative essays (although different style of essays can be used if needed. options are given.. one example is the option to write a compare/contrast essay for Epic of Gilgamesh).

Other writing assignments in AHL English credit include poetry units, and a Proverbs project.

In addition to daily work in lit. analysis, the student has vocab quizzes from the readings. MFW gives a suggestion in the lesson plans for how to do even more vocab work if the student needs it.

and the grammar component in the context of writing.

Another component of English credit is in "additional free reading time". MFW suggests several paths for that and lets the student pick and choose. There are the package books that are required. But then a small "book basket" list is given for historical fiction, as well, as the suggestion to use "any classics in literature list for high school" even the list in the Stobaugh SAT prep book they sell.

So, the only thing I can think of that is "added" to it, is the free reading time. They give a list of suggestions, or you can go more rigorous, or not have it related to historical fiction titles.

-crystal