Menu

Reading comprehension skills?

stephg

My ds8 son is an advanced reader. He has hyperlexia and can read at high school level. He just devours books. He can read something like a Narnia or Harry Potter book in a day. My dh was wanting me to make sure he is really comprehending what he is reading and making sure he is not skipping words, etc. I have been researching some reading comprehension workbooks and such, like Evan Moor and Reading Detective. Do all reading comp workbooks have the same format where they give you the reading passage and then the questions on the same page? And you are suppose to look back at the passage to answer to questions? This doesn't seem like reading comprehension to me if you are able to go back and find the answers. Am I wrong? What exactly does reading comprehension mean for a 3rd grader? Is there anything out there that doesn't allow you to look back at the passage to find the answers? Or is this not a skill that an elementary aged student should be able to do yet?

Thanks.

Stephanie

ds8 Micah

ds3 Agi

You might look at the series by College of William and Mary. I got Jacob's Ladder for both of my soon to be eight year old children. The lay out is in such a way that you could adapt it to almost any selection of writing you would like.

At least for my two, I consider good reading comprehension to be along the lines of being able to tell me the characters, to be able to give me the plot in sequence, to be able to recall the final outcome and take a good running leap at the actions that led to that outcome, and finally to provide a good oral summary. To that end, I am using Jacob's Ladder for narration questions, and also working with both of them through workbooks on sequencing, and summarizing.

You might look at the series by College of William and Mary. I got Jacob's Ladder for both of my soon to be eight year old children. The lay out is in such a way that you could adapt it to almost any selection of writing you would like.

At least for my two, I consider good reading comprehension to be along the lines of being able to tell me the characters, to be able to give me the plot in sequence, to be able to recall the final outcome and take a good running leap at the actions that led to that outcome, and finally to provide a good oral summary. To that end, I am using Jacob's Ladder for narration questions, and also working with both of them through workbooks on sequencing, and summarizing.

Thanks for this info. I looked it up and it looks great! I think it is exactly what I need for my ds.

Stephanie

ds8 Micah

ds3 Agi