Menu

Soliciting advice from teens for first time test taker

My 9th grader will be taking the SAT II Biology test next Saturday. This is the first time since he left ps in 2nd grade that he has taken a test any where other than home. He's very nervous and doesn't know quite what to expect. Dh and I have tried to prep him as best we can -- and we're practicing not singing while working :001_smile:. I'm concerned about pencil tapping & fidgeting, but other than remind him, there's not much we can do.

What advice do your teens have about test taking? I'm don't mean academically, but logistically.

Thanks,

Maura

dd (16) suggests reading through the test until you find a question that you know right away. This gives you time to settle.

Once you get starting, if you find a question you don't know, let your mind 'chunter' away on it while you go on to other questions. If you have time, go back to it.

If you know your stuff, you'll pretty soon realize it's a stupid test.

She took AP chemistry this year, and was really concerned about it until the guy sitting next to her simply put his head down and went to sleep. Seems a test isn't life-threatening for everyone.

dd(14) recommends ignoring those around you, because people usually make really weird faces and it is distracting -- hmm, seems she doesn't follow her own advice.

They also says good luck to him.

if this would make him feel less stressed, but you can tell him that there is an option available to cancel his scores right after the test if he feels he did poorly. You should check the College Board's website for the specifics, since they do have a deadline for canceling scores.

I'd also make sure he's done at least a few full-length, timed practice tests out of a review book so he knows what to expect. You might also want to go over the mechanics of filling in his name/address, etc. on the answer sheet. I believe there are samples of what the actual sheet looks like on the college board website or in the paper booklet you can get at a local school's guidance office.

HTH,

Brenda

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming. He just finished going through the Kaplan guide and took his first practice test today. He scored 680, which I guess is good, not great? But okay for a first try, for him. We have 5 more practice test to work through, with review of all his errors to see if we can't glue a few more things into his head before next Saturday.

I think it helps him to know that if he completely blows it (like filling in all his answers on the wrong lines and not realizing it until he gets to the end!) then he can just cancel the test score.

Peace,

Maura